Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogmeat1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Forced lunches
    Can a company force you to take a lunch that you do not want.

Thanks
    Jmcg
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Most states have laws regarding employee breaks and they typically do enforce those laws to make sure that no one sues them for not enforcing labor laws.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Depends, are you trying to work through lunch and leave early / go in later? They could say no to that, if not I'm not sure.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Aug 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
    It depends on your age yes in some states if you are under 18 the state requires you to take breakes after so many hours if you are over 18 then yes again to prevent overtime.
    iloveLf221 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Aug 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Well, I think that certain companies require people to eat while at work, for health reasons, however if you've brought your own lunch, I don't see what theproblem is!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I worked in a factory for 13 years and we had to take lunch breaks because of the laws. Believe me these sweat shops would make you work through your break if they could get away with it. Yes you have to take a lunch break. I believ that we had to take at least 15 minutes ofit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Yes they can. We had that situation here, you get a 30 min lunch taken from your time if you take one or not. The law here was there had to be a break.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
    The laws are there to protect employees from being manipulated and overworked. Whether you eat or rest or read a book or go outside and sit under a tree for that lunch break, that should be how you decide. While no one can force you to actually eat, the lunch break is following the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forced to Move [ 4 Answers ]

My family and I are renting a home, we have only been in the house since the beginning of June. Put down a security deposit along with 1st months rent. Now, we find out that the house is being foreclosed. We have been told to vacate the property. We have asked the landlord for the security...

Forced into adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to ask you my friend who was a minor at the time was forced into adoption by her aunt who bribed her . Her mother was not around when she signed her parental rights over the catch the rights were sighned over on there table at their house the notary was the uncles cousin The aunt told the...

How to get over someone when your forced to be alone [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I just found out that my girlfriend is cheating on me? How? She called on accident and I heard "YEAH" Anyway I am OK during the day when I sleep and am with people but I work nights as a security guard alone and I was just needing some advice to get through the night while being forced...

Roommates forced me out! [ 1 Answers ]

My roommates forced me to move out of my townhouse but refuse to sign me off the lease. They expect me to pay rent until they find a new roommate, but I don't think that is fair since THEY forced ME out. I moved out on November 10th, 2006 and have continued to pay my third of the rent until now,...

Forced into another position [ 4 Answers ]

I have a two fold issue. I was hired in a purchasing position, but due to lay offs and employees quiting they are trying to force me into a warehouse position. I will be in an air conditioned office in the warehouse, but will still be required to do many things in the warehouse where the...

View more questions Search