Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Door hinges
    The back door to my house opens out rather than in so the hinges are on the outside. Unfortunately, it is a small back porch that has stuff in it like the washer and dryer and space is at a premium so I can't re-hang the door to open in-----it has to stay opening out. I have a good size lock on it, but an concerned withsomeon trying to break in by simply removing the pins on the door hinges. Home Depot told me they do not have any door hinges with pins that cannot be removed, but some of their customers told them that they do exist. Can anyone tell me where these types of door hinges can be purchased?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 8, 2007, 12:06 PM
    I know how noisy it is removing door hinges. Do you think anyone is really going to be that deliberate if they want to break in ? Is there another door to the house through the porch that can be safeguarded, if so, why worry about that outside door. I doubt they will want heavy things like washers and dryers.
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
    In my neighborhood, yes, the secluded back door is a great entrance. Once inside, they can help themselves and then just go right back out the back door. Thank you
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:41 AM
    I know you said that Home Depot said they do not have them, but talk to someone in the commercial sales division. They may have a resource for them. Or try Lowe's, a security system business, or a glass company. Or, contact your insurance agent and ask them if they know of a supplier. The hinges are out there, you just will have a hard time finding them. Another question is is the door metal clad, or wood. You may have to modify the area where you are wishing to mount the new hinges. And if the screw holes do not line up with the new hinges, fill the old holes with pieces of wood, then you can make a good mount of the new hinges. I have used match sticks, pieces of the craft style popsicle sticks , or whittled out pieces of wood. By filling in the existing holes you can rest asured you will have the screws in to where they hold.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Yeah, check commercial suppliers. I never thought about it, but doors on public buildings must open outwards. The hinges on the door to your local bank or jewelry store come from somewhere. Tell the hardware store you want ones like theirs. I am sure you can't just easily remove their hinge pins.
    sjones1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Would adding a second dead-bolt (this one on the hinge side) be an option? With both dead-bolts locked, the door would be nearly impossible to remove, even with the hinge pins pulled. Of course, you would have to remember to unlock both doors to use it. If you bought the same brand as your existing lock, the two could probably be keyed alike for convenience. Hope this helps.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Drill a small hole through the barrel of the jam side leaf and into the pin but not through the other side of the barrel. Drive a pin, such as a small nail, in the hole and cut it off flush. You will have to drill test holes in a piece of metal to find the right size hole for the nail to fit tightly. Of course, you won't be able to remove the hinge pins either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

View more questions Search