Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ging1994 Posts: 190, Reputation: 9

Aug 8, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Dads drunk
    OK most parents get drunk every once in a while but my dad is drinking about 3 to 5 bottles of beer on a regular basis just about every day :eek: its scaring me I'll go to bed and the rum bottle is half full when I wake up its almost all gone I was thinking I may have been jumping to conlutions before but now I'm sure I think my dads an alcoholic he drinks a lot and usually alone its getting in between my parents its scaring me so bad I just want to go back to the time when I didn't know about the dangers what should I do
    quizzical Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 12:44 AM
    Well this does like it has some cause for concern, however instead of confronting your father, about what could be a slightly "tender" subject, maybe talk to another adult that you trust, perhaps your mum? A teacher? If you dad does have an alcohol problem he will need to receive help to overcome this.

Good luck =)
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 8, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Yeah like quizzical said, do not confront him, because he may be drunk and not be able to control himself. Go to someone you trust and have them call him. He won't be able to overcome it himself, and with you telling someone you trust, that shows how much you care and that you are there for him, and hopefully he will understand that.
    mischa88 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 03:43 AM
    It sounds to me like your dad is depressed about somethink or something is bothering him to drink a lot and esp on his own because he's not drinking for the social side of it he is trying to hide..

I think it would be good if you could get someone that is close to him/someone that he trusts to help sort his drinking problem out before it gets too out of hand...

Are you and your dad close? Wel good luck sweetz
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 8, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Please look into AlateenWelcome to Al-Anon and Alateen. They will help you. If your father really has a serious problem like alcoholism, you won't be able to help him alone.

Do you have a mom, grandparents, aunts, or uncles you could talk to about this?
    Ging1994 Posts: 190, Reputation: 9

Aug 8, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Both my dads parents past away years ago and he's an only child I guess him and my mum are having troubles and my mum family aren't the most intuned with each other
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 8, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Stress can cause someone who drinks moderately to begin drinking heavily... you are very strong to be asking advice and direction... I think you should start by talking to a counselor at school or at church... if you feel comfortable I would suggest you talk to your mom about what she notices and how it is making you feel... your dad is not perfect and is not doing this to hurt you but because he is hurting... be strong and keep talking to people about it.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 12:50 PM
    While stress and such may want to make someone drink till they are blue in the face this is not the way to handle it. Your dad needs professional help! Drinking that much everyday is harmful in so many ways and not only to himself but the people around him as well. You should talk with your mother about this first of all and plan some sort of intervention where both of you sit with dad, while sober if possible, and explain to him that you both love him and you are tired of seeing him killing himself. Find a AA treatment in you area for him to attend and most of all, give him all of the love and support you can.
    lovergirl28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Aug 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I know what you're talking about. My dad drinks too. I just leave him alone. But if he ever hurts you, call the police. Just be careful
    Young-Love Posts: 38, Reputation: 0

Aug 8, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Parents are like that. If you are concerned aproach him. My father was an alcoholic too. At one point he chose alcohol over his family. Talk to him tell him how you are feeling. He won't know what you are feeling unless you tell him.
    ally123 Posts: 57, Reputation: 5

Aug 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
    What you need to do is sit down with your parents and tell them how you feel about your dads drinking problem and let it out so they know how you feel

Ally
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:54 PM
    I can speak from experience, if it helps. My step dad (who I considered to be my father for over 10 years since my biological father was never around) was an alcoholic. He would drink himself stupid, and then pass out. He developed ulcers so bad that he would throw up blood. Eventually he was diagnosed with Hepatits C. He lived okay for a couple of years, and then went downhill. For the last 2 months of his life, he never left the hospital, and died there. The day after Christmas was the last time he was ever in his own home, and then he was in the hospital until he died. Before he died, he experienced memory loss (he didn't know who any of us were), he had to be fed through a tube, couldn't get out of bed to go to the bathroom or take a shower, and was later diagnosed with some sort of mental disorder, where he had to be strapped to the bed. I don't remember the exact name of the mental disorder he developed. All of this from alcoholism and Hepatitis C.

He drank about 2 twelve packs of beer a day from the time he was 13 until about 2 months before he went into the hospital. I am not saying any of this to scare you, at all, but you wanted to know the dangers of alcoholism, so there you go. If you feel it is a problem this excessive, you need to have a talk with him about what can happen.

Good luck, and like I said, I am not trying to scare you. :)
    alejandro2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Mar 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
    I know exactly how you feel. My dad used be an alcoholic but now thank God stopped. He used to drink in one weekend about 40 bottles of beer. He used to fight with my mom and used to hit me. Its sad have a family member that's an alcoholic. Try talking to your mom because she seems to be the closest person to you. Try to get someone to help you and your dad but don't ever confront your dad when he's drunk or yell at him when he's drunk. If you have any more questions feel free talk to me.

-alejandro
    XM8 Posts: 213, Reputation: 14

Mar 27, 2009, 12:40 PM

You know what? Don't do anything about it, just ignore the problem.

Yea it's a damn harsh thing to say, but it works. I never talked to my dad about his alcoholism. He used to get drink, beat my sometimes, break my things but it passed eventually.

But hey, maybe that's just me trying to cover up my sad feelings. There's a thing you get when you go through bad times in life, it either makes you strong or cripples and right now I'm between the two trying real hard not to let it break me.

Stay strong and don't let anything get you down. Your dad has to stop his problem himself because you can't force him to stop something if HE doesn't WANT to - it has to come from within him.

Talk to him if you feel it's right - after all I'm probably just full of sh*t.

God Bless and KIR,

-Xm8
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XM8 View Post
    You know what? Don't do anything about it, just ignore the problem.

Yea it's a damn harsh thing to say, but it works. I never talked to my dad about his alcoholism. He used to get drink, beat my sometimes, break my things but it passed eventually.

Got to disagree - alcoholism is a medical problem, an addiction. It doesn't just "pass eventually."

I think OP has to talk to someone, very possibly not her father.

Ignoring the situation is no more helpful than enabling the person who drinks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my dads house haunted? [ 4 Answers ]

OK. So here's the thing I live with my mom but I live with my dad every other weekend. Well my dad moved into this old old old old old victorian house and this is kind of weird and stuff but I think its haunted! Me and my 5 year old sister have separate rooms for personal reasons but she will come...

Dads girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I really like my dads girlfriend. A lot. Buut I really feel like every time I am with my dad she takes control on what is suppose to be his decision, OK as an example. MOVIES: so when I am with her and my dad I want to watch a rated R movie like knocked up and she says no because its rated R...

Dead beat dads [ 7 Answers ]

The father of my child does absolutely nothing for my son, if I go and file child abandonment do I have to have his social :mad:

Dads 12 step program. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok my dad wants to meet me as part of some 12 step program for like recovering alcoholics so I just wanted to know what step is apologizing to the ones you've hurt?

Dads looking for me [ 2 Answers ]

My dad's wants visitation rights after 12 years. Should I be excited or mad?

View more questions Search