Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hatchmo911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Puppy barking all night.
    We just bough a mini daschund. We bought her from a breeder locally. She is 8 weeks old. We bought a crate and place her in it whenever we both leave the house and at night. At night she has been barking and whining in excess of an hour or so, then she falls asleep. And continues barking and whining when she wakes up. I worked an overnight shift the other day, and my wife gave in and brought her onto the bed. Today we left for alsmost 3 hours, she was barking when we left and when we arrived home. Any help would be appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Keep in mind she is only still a baby so you have to take that into consideration. Babies cry when they need attention or food. You have to establish a routine with her that will last her whole life and hopes it will be a long one because mini dachs are a really good breed and very smart. Is she long hair or short hair?

You will have to put up with a bit of over-reacting from her because she knows now that you are her caregivers.

Bringing her onto the bed is not a good idea and I have fallen for that one too and not to happy I did with my now nine year old pup who is not allowed on my bed anymore and it is hard for her to give up the idea and she is confused.

She probably only starts barking when she hears you coming in, probably just sleeping until then, she knows which side her bread is buttered on!

Bottom line is establish a routine with her, crating at night (she will bark less and less) taking her out for potty at the same time in the morning, etc.
    hatchmo911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 08:02 PM
    She is long haired. Black and tan. Very cute. She also has tendency to pee first, then we wait and wait and wait andnothing, so we bring her in and within minutes she poops inside.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
    There is a solution to the barking at night that has worked very well for us for at least a dozen puppies. It and other informati9n that should help is in the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

You may need to walk her more when you take her out. They can't hold it very long while they ar walking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old labrador crying, barking at night, going in circles, hiding under tables [ 3 Answers ]

Hi and thanks for the forum, My 13 year old choco lab CoCoBear has suddenly developed fearful behaviors, especially at night. She won't "settle" to sleep; whines, cries, and barks and acts confused. During the day she tries to hide under tables. For some time she has needed help getting up on...

11 week old puppy sleeping at night [ 2 Answers ]

We have the typical LAB puppy that is biting and chewing everything. The problem is she is not sleeping at night and it waking up at 11pm, 3am, 5am. We take her to outside at these times no problem. The problem is she is WIDE awake for hours afterward, running through house, whining for...

14 week old puppy started pooping in crate at night? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a choc. Lab puppy. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old. He has NEVER pooped in the crate. That was until this last week. Now, almost every night he is pooping in the crate. We have changed nothing. He is a healthy puppy. He is walked nightly before we go to bed and gets up with...

9 week old puppy pooping at night (in crate) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have had our little mini-schnauzer for a week now. She is doing very well during the day, but night time is becoming a problem. She has started pooping 3 or 4 times at night... the problem is that she doesn't whine until she's already soiled her crate. Her last meal is at 5:00, and we...

View more questions Search