Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrspxyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 08:29 PM
    Doxie doesn't seem to know what to do when put him outside to do bathroom duties
    We just adopted a beautiful year old doxie. He was negelected at his original home (too many animals) and was never properly house broken. The foster mom was honest and said he wasn't fully house broken, but we took him anyway.It seems like he doesn't know what to do when I put him out. He just sits there. We put him out every 2 hours. He holds and holds and then justs lets go like a flood in the house. When I am out he poops on the bed. Someone has suggested to crate train him, but I feel horrible leaving in the crate all day when I go back to work next month. Any suggestions??
    MrsP
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2005, 10:51 PM
    Forget schedules. You need to learn the behaviors for when he needs to go. Take him out soon after he gets up from a nap, or if he stops playing and starts sniffing around. Be very quick if he is sniffing around previous places he has used. Take him out. Keep him moving. Once he does anything, praise him for it, really praise him.

You need to rethink crating. Yes it seems terrible to you, but dogs are wired differently than people. They instinctively crave an enclosed place.
    It is only natural that a puppy resists its crate at first. What the puppy wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the
    Household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home,
    Other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The
    Only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. Skip the
    Bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    Hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put
    In a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.

The pooping on the bed may be deliberate, part of proclaiming himself top dog.
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.
    mrspxyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Thank you
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my concerns. I will try what you have suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Resident engineer duties [ 5 Answers ]

Hello experts, I’m looking for all the resident engineer duties and responsibilities"Owner representative " please write it in details. Thanks in advance

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

Daily duties [ 2 Answers ]

What does your occupation require of you on a daily basis?

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search