Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Aug 5, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Judgment / payment
    First and foremost, I would like to say “what a great forum this is for advice.”

I have two judgments against me for the sum of $3,500.00 and $2,900.00.
    I have agreed to pay on each debt, $100.00 per month. These people are very intimidating on the phone I might add. What scares me is the fact that I don't have a penny saved and I live paycheck to paycheck.

Question: If I have an emergency and can't afford to pay the $100.00 per month as promised, but I send them a good faith payment of only $10.00 per month for several months until I get caught up, can they / will they garnish my wages / bank account or levy my vehicles and personal property?

I look forward to any advice!

Thank you.

Aug 11, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any type of advice for my question.

Thanks
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Aug 11, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Hello snakbite

If the judgements have alredy been entered against you I doubt if these credit scumbs
    Will accept anything but what they want and what they want is there money The time to fight them was before you got the judgement Depending on what state you live in they will go after your wages and your bank accounts.
    It maybe only a matter of time. Did you go to court when you received the papers to appear about the debt? If not they may have got a default judgement and that means they will go after your accounts
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 11:00 AM
    If they already have a judgement in place, they can garnish your wages and freeze your bank accounts anytime they want. Unless the 100 dollar payment was agreed to though the court at the time for the judgement, they could decide to garnish now while you are paying.

So as long as your state allows garnishment, if they have a judgement, they can anytime they want.

Aug 12, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy
    hello snakbite

If the judgements have alredy been entered against you I doubt if these credit scumbs
    will accept anything but what they want and what they want is there money The time to fight them was before you got the judgement Depending on what state you live in they will go after your wages and your bank accounts.
    it maybe only a matter of time. Did you go to court when you received the papers to appear about the debt? If not they may have got a default judgement and that means they will go after your accounts
    No I didn't. I figured I owed the money, so I didn't fight it.

I am self employed and I keep all my money in a fire proof safe at home.
    I'm more worried about them taking my car. No car means, no job!

Question: I heard if you pay on a debt only $5.00 a month, they can't take your vehicles or personal property. Any truth to that?

Aug 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If they already have a judgement in place, they can go ahead and garnish your wages and freeze your bank accounts anytime they want. Unless the 100 dollar payment was agreed to though the court at the time fo the judgement, they could decide to garnish now while you are paying.

So as long as your state allows garnishment, if they have a judgement, they can anytime they want.
    Thanks for the reply.

Question: I heard if you pay on a debt only $5.00 a month, they can't take your vehicles or personal property. Any truth to that?
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Normally in most states they can't take your vechiles or personal property anyway, in the states where they can, no paying them 5 dollars does not do anything, since once they get a court order they can do it. If you appera in court for the judgement hearing, and offer a payment, sometimes they will not allow the judgement.

Aug 12, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Normally in most states they can't take your vechiles or personal property anyway, in the states where they can, no paying them 5 dollars does not do anything, since once they get a court order they can do it. If you appera in court for the judgement hearing, and offer a payment, sometimes they will not allow the judgement.
    Thanks again.

Is say's on the judgment that they can levy my vehicle. Does levy a vehicle mean the creditor can take it.
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Levy means they can put a lien on it. Again it is up to your specific state law. Normally they will always go after bank accounts and garnishment of your pay check first before they do anything else.

Aug 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
    What state are you in?

Aug 12, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy
    What state are you in?
    PA.

Aug 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Check out the laws in your state, Some states will allow a levy on personal property
    5683HUGGS Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Aug 12, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Where do you go to check your state law to see if they can take your car or personal property?
    rog4600 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
    How does the above apply to Texas
    Fighting_the_Deb Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2007, 07:40 PM
    I have to say that the best way to get specific info is by doing some legal research. I got a book from the library called "How to do leagal research". It is geared more towards legal students, but I've found it immesely helpful and kind of tells you how to negotiate a law library. If anything, they always have legal librarians who are extremely helpful. Good luck to all!
    happybunny1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
    I have a consent judgement against me can they take my income taxes this year even though I'm paying them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Judgment [ 2 Answers ]

Who notify you of a judgment the collection agencies or the courts If entered

Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I have been threatened with a judgment from a bad credit card debt. I did try to work out a payment plan but they wanted to take it directly from my checking each month and I did not want them to have my account number. I wanted to send a cashier's check. I do not own my home and I am in...

Judgment Help [ 9 Answers ]

Ok so I had leased a car a over 10 years ago. I was reposessed and I had a judgement on me for 10 years The judgement was removed about 6 months ago. The company who filed that judgement went bankrupt and an Bankruptcy lawyer is trying to collect the money I had a letter left on my door demanding...

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

View more questions Search