Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tpn87 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Confused: 2 or 3 wire wall switch for Fan Control
    Hello,

I am buying a new house (new construction) and I have a question regarding fan controls. I bought hunter fans (augusta III) and Hunter Ceiling fan controls (27182).

The control says it is for a 3 wire wall switch. Is that how switches are normally wired and will these controls work properly? I also saw controls for 2 wire switches.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thx
    tpn87
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Usually a switch needs 2 wires(not counting ground). If it is a three wire control, May be hot IN, and 1 out to light , and one to fan.(in a single device). Fan wiring may help explain.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 06:11 PM
    IS your house wired for ceiling fans? How many wires are in the ceiling where the fans are installed, how many switches control them?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Aug 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
    I am not sure about this, and I haven't been able to query the electrician who wired the house and he is going to install the fans. The great room had a bracket installed in the ceiling that looks like it was for a ceiling fan, but I don't know about the wiring.

The two rooms where I would be using the controls have 12 foot ceilings, so I can't see how many wires they have.

As I mentioned, the controls I have are for three wire wall switches. Would I be smart to also purchase a couple of 2 wire controls to have on hand? That way, I'd have either one the electrician might need for the install.

Thanks for the responses :)

Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    IS your house wired for ceiling fans? How many wires are in the ceiling where the fans are installed, how many switches control them?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Aug 6, 2007, 06:49 PM
    3 wire with ground = 4 wires, this is best for separate control of light & fan..
    2 wire with ground = 3 wires, this will only control the operation of the fan & light together at the same time so when the light is on so will the fan and this to me is no good...
    So you will need 3 wire with ground, I am not a electrician but I am sure this is correct
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
    How many wall switches control each fan location?
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 04:04 PM
    If not fixed yet, you may be talking about a 3 way switch(allows switching at 2 locations, like stairs, or dimming of lights at 1 of 2 locations.
    If it is a 3 way fan control(NOT light dimmer), can use 1 only.
    You can use a 3 way control in place of single pole control, just more expensive.
    Some questions from other responders, may help if answered(Switched from 1 location)?
    If meant for a light, may need additional support.

Aug 8, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Went into the house today. Here's what I see.

All of the boxes on the ceiling appear to have 4 wires in them. In the great room, there are 4 wall switches.

Master Bedrom, there are 2 wall switches. Othe bedrooms there is 1 wall switch.

Thanks again for all the comments!
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Any place there are two wall switches, that don't control other things in the room, you can use a 3-wire wall switch. Any place that only has one switch, you need a 2-wire wall switch.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:18 AM
    In the large room, possibly switched seperatly, The room with 4 wires at ceiling with 1 switch, May have 1 wire at ceiling for fan to be pull chain, and light on switch. I would get 2bulb holders and bulbs for testing. Then try each switch and note action. On the room with single switch, you may be able pull or push another wire in, then use a 3 wire dual control.
    If 4" square box, with single gang mudring, you can carefully remove single gang Mudring, and replace with 2 gang mudring, allowing Separate control for light and fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Harbor breeze fan / Dimmer switch wall control [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I recently purchased a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and a light/fan dual dimmer switch from Lowe's. We had both installed and it seemed to have worked fine for a week. Then I smelled something that smelled like burning copper(?) and realized that it was the switch that was installed in the...

Wiring for DUAL wall switch to control Ceiling Fan and Light Separately [ 20 Answers ]

Greetings. I recently bought a new ceiling fan and light kit to replace one that had been in my sun porch for over 20 years. A dual wall switch was always used to control the light and fan separately on the older fan. The fan speeds were controlled by pull chain. Before I took the old fan down, I...

Hampton bay fan came with wall remote but Fan is not operated from a wall switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I received a New Hampton Bay fan to replace an existing fan. The existing fan is operated by two pull chains. The new fan came with a wall control device. The problem is that the fan is not operated from the wall switch and there are no pull chains. Can I use a Hampton Bay remote with the...

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

View more questions Search