Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trucknts Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Dash lights dim when horn activated
    I have a 1993 Chevy Silverado 1500, 6 cylinder. I don't know when it started but I've noticed that the lights dim and/or my speedometer gauge will jump backwards when I hit the horn. FYI I installed a "BAD BOY" horn about 2 months ago which has a air horn type of set up. I don't know the amount of power it uses but I used the same wires that the original horn used.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 05:45 AM
    You'll need a way to check altenator output. Do you get the same symptoms when other loads are added with the horn, ie: turning on the high beams or holding your foot on the brakes (Brake lamps on)?

It may require a large ampere alternator.

It's important to know how much the alternator is capable of now that you've added loads. It may be too much.
    Tyler Shane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 02:14 PM

Yes get a FORD... they tend to be perfect in all aspects

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan lights too dim [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Antigua fan with an add-on light kit (4 bulbs). I also purchased the wall mounted remote control. It worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now, all four bulbs are extremely dim. I've tried higher wattage bulbs but there just doesn't seem to be enough power to light them...

Dash Lights [ 1 Answers ]

So many of the lights in my dash have burned out that I can't see how fast I'm going at night! In the repair books it shows six screws on the face plate of the instrument cluster, mine doesn't have any. Anyone familiar with this? 1991 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. Thanks

Dim Lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a situation that is puzzling. In my basement, I noticed that the laundry room light is dim when I turn on the lights of the main room. Here is the scenario. 1. Laundry Switch OFF and Basement Switch OFF - Both Lights OFF 2. Laundry Switch OFF and Basement Switch ON - Laundry...

Some lights dim others brighten [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently added an addition on to my small home. The kitchen outlets are on two separate lines that are of the proper heavy gauge wire. The kitchen lighting is on a separate line that is of standard romex. Now when I turn on a hotpot or other appliance in the kitchen the halogen lights get...

Voltage okay- yet lights still dim [ 4 Answers ]

Forgive me if Ive ask this question before, I think I wrote it out, but had to leave and I just closed it rather than posted. Two years ago when I had my 15KW electric furnace installed, I noticed that when ever it would run, it would make the lights dim, and they wouldn't get bright again until...

View more questions Search