Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesisonline Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 09:38 PM
    Need advice on simple shower drain leak. Pics provided.
    We discovered a moisture leak on the 1st floor ceiling below our master bathroom shower.

We had a friend cut out the damaged section of the ceiling and ran the shower water to test where the leak was originating. The leak is coming from the rim of the shower drain.

I provided pictures to show where the water was leaking from above (drain1.jpg) and a view of the leak from the 1st floor looking up through the ceiling (drain2.jpg).

We applied clear bathroom silicon sealant with a chaulking gun shown in the drain1.jpg picture and let it cure. We waited 2 days before using the shower. Looks like the shifting weight of a person has slight flex on the plastic shower flooring caused the sealant to be compromised.

The seal ended up breaking after one shower and leaking around the rim again.
    1. is there a special washer ring that we have to use in conjunction with the sealant?
    2. what is the best way to fix this simple leak.

Links to pictures (drain1.jpg & drain2.jpg)

http://www.blackaces.org/misc/drain1.jpg

http://www.blackaces.org/misc/drain2.jpg
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesisonline
    we discovered a moisture leak on the 1st floor ceiling below our master bathroom shower.

we had a friend cut out the damaged section of the ceiling and ran the shower water to test where the leak was originating. the leak is coming from the rim of the shower drain.

i provided pictures to show where the water was leaking from above (drain1.jpg) and a view of the leak from the 1st floor looking up through the ceiling (drain2.jpg).

we applied clear bathroom silicon sealant with a chaulking gun shown in the drain1.jpg picture and let it cure. we waited 2 days before using the shower. looks like the shifting weight of a person has slight flex on the plastic shower flooring caused the sealant to be compromised.

the seal ended up breaking after one shower and leaking around the rim again.
    1. is there a special washer ring that we have to use in conjunction with the sealant?
    2. what is the best way to fix this simple leak.

Links to pictures (drain1.jpg & drain2.jpg)

http://www.blackaces.org/misc/drain1.jpg

http://www.blackaces.org/misc/drain2.jpg
    Hey James,

No, the installation goes like this;Shower drains are installed with a ring of plumbers putty or silicon gel under the lip of the male threaded piece which then goes into the hole in the base.
    On the under side the neoprene washer goes first, then the fiber friction washer and finally the nut that secures the drain assembly. As you tighten the retaining nut the putty or silicone gel squeezes out from the lip of the drain to make a seal.

2. what is the best way to fix this simple leak?
    You've answered your own question by observing, " looks like the shifting weight of a person has slight flex on the plastic shower flooring caused the sealant to be compromised."
    BINGO! The shower floor MUST have support and from your pictures it's floating without any. The way to fix this problem is to install support for the shower floor. It could be heading up from the floor joists with 2 X 4 headers or perhaps you could slide 3/4" in plywood on top of the joists and build the area up with mortor or patching cement. No matter how you do it the shower floor must be supported or you'll have a ongoing problem. Good luck, Tom

Aug 9, 2005, 08:20 AM
    Hmmm
    I stepped on the shower flooring and it seems to be fine. The floor wasn't flexing as I thought it was, but the drain pipe moved slightly.

I observed the underside of the drain from the first floor while another person showered and did notice that the drain piping moved slightly when they moved their feet causing the seal not to hold. Ugh.

There is a plywood sheet above the studs supporting the shower floor.

I'll need to do some research on parts that you mentioned for the drain anatomy. Thanks for the tips.

Let me know if you have diagrams by chance :)

I believe the two washers you mentioned are not present, so that is where I'm going to investigate further.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 10:46 AM
    i stepped on the shower flooring and it seems to be fine. the floor wasn't flexing as i thought it was, but the drain pipe moved slightly.

i observed the underside of the drain from the first floor while another person showered and did notice that the drain piping moved slightly when they moved their feet causing the seal not to hold. ugh.

there is a plywood sheet above the studs supporting the shower floor.

i'll need to do some research on parts that you mentioned for the drain anatomy. thanks for the tips.

let me know if you have diagrams by chance :)

i believe the two washers you mentioned are not present, so that is where i'm going to investigate further.
    Hey James,

If you've installed the drain without the washers then it's been installed incorrectly and you're going to hafta do it again. See: http://www.lawsupply.net/odds_ends/drains/ to see the washers. Also the trap should be secured so that it doesn't move when someone steps in the shower. Let me know what you come up with. Tom

Aug 9, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey James,

If you've installed the drain without the washers then it's been installed incorrectly and you're gonna hafta do it again. See: http://www.lawsupply.net/odds_ends/drains/ to see the washers. Also the trap should be secured so that it doesn't move when someone steps in the shower. Let me know what you come up with. Tom
    We bought the house with this set up already in it. First time I've looked at any drain issue, so it's a learning process.

I can't visibly see the washer, but it could be just crushed between or rotted out. I can't tell much, but it looks like I'll have to yank the drain and do a fresh rebuild of the washer set and seal. I'm heading to home depot later after work to do some quick checks on parts later. I'm checking your link out now that you've provided. Thanks for all the knowledge base. Its good to have some experience to pool from.

Aug 9, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Cool link
    This second pic from your link you provided - http://www.lawsupply.net/odds_ends/drains/DRP-SD5.jpg

Looks identical to my drain type except the bottom half is black instead of white, but it has the same kind of nuts under it as shown in the catalog picture. The top steel strainer is the same diameter 4-1/4" as ours.

I shouldn't have to cut the pipe if I'm just repairing and replacing the seal and washers above right? I'm assuming all I need to do is loosen the nuts under it and pull the top part of the drain to do a fresh plumbers putty and washer set.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 02:15 PM
    this second pic from your link you provided - http://www.lawsupply.net/odds_ends/drains/DRP-SD5.jpg

looks identical to my drain type except the bottom half is black instead of white, but it has the same kind of nuts under it as shown in the catalog picture. the top steel strainer is the same diameter 4-1/4" as ours.

i shouldn't have to cut the pipe if i'm just repairing and replacing the seal and washers above right? i'm assuming all i need to do is loosen the nuts under it and pull the top part of the drain to do a fresh plumbers putty and washer set.

Sounds like you have it together James,
    I shouldn't have to cut the pipe if I'm just repairing and replacing the seal and washers above right? I'm assuming all I need to do is loosen the nuts under it and pull the top part of the drain to do a fresh plumbers putty and washer set.

Nope! All you have to do is be sure everything's nice and secure and then unscrew the big nut and pull and reset the drain assembly. Good luck Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday we noticed that a good amount of water had leaked from around our can light directly below the shower. (This was the first time we had a problem.) The drain itself seems to be in good working order because water poured directly into the drain does not cause any leaks. This is a Kohler...

Shower Drain Leak [ 9 Answers ]

My house is 17 years old and I am the original owner. The fiberglass shower stall in the 2nd floor master bath is obviously leaking, as the first floor ceiling directly below it has some water spots and was wet to the touch. I removed the drain screen and pulled out 17 years worth of hair. It...

Shower leak is it the pan or the drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all :) Well were selling our home and the inspector said we had a small leak under our 2nd bath we figured pout its coming from the shower we have a single story w/ a crawl space under so we could figure it out. Anyway the pan looks great to be honest we don't use that bath room very much. But...

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain, and I am fairly confident it is between the two screw-in pieces of the drain. The problem I have is it is an upstairs shower, so I do not have access to the floor plumbing at the moment (I may have to start cutting some ceilings :-). Even if I did, the assembly is...

Shower drain leak [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs fiberglass shower doesn't leak when you run water in it, but leaks when someone is taking a shower. I've checked out all possible leaks and it seems the only thing I can figure out is the floor "gives" with the person's weight. How can I fix this without taking the whole floor out? ...

View more questions Search