Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckremmin2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Dog aggression
    I have an 8 year old pittbull named Tiger Lilly. She can sometimes be dog aggressive when walking through a park on her leash. She has lived with other dogs in the past and had maybe one of two problems when left alone with other dogs. My son is asking for his first dog of his own and is at an age where he is capable of taking care of a puppy. My question is, is there a way to break her of her dog aggression? Or should we not even consider getting another dog? If we did decide to get another dog what is a good non territorial dog? Thanks for the help.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Ck, the dog-on-dog aggression that happens with pitbulls is a genetic trait of the breed. It is the only thing that you cannot completely train out of them. It works rather like a lightswitch being turned on, in how quick the response happens. I am sure that you have experienced that. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. If your dog has been well socialized with dogs of all sizes, and given the proper training, you will notice that it when it does happen, it is more frequently with larger breed dogs, usually the ones that appear to be in "alert mode." The other dog may not actually be in that mode, but if he has ears that stick up, like a German Shephard or even the smaller breed Cattle Dog, it can cause the aggressive reaction in your dog. Sometimes something as simple as any breed of dog just standing there will elicit the response. My dog is VERY friendly and loving to all people and small dogs, but with medium to large breeds, every once in a while, POW. I never know which larger breed will trigger her. It happens in a split second. We humans aren't as quick as dogs to tune into the vibes they are giving off. So, when I am in public walking her, I am very aware of all the dogs surrounding us, I watch her signals very closely, and she is kept on a short lead. No matter how many times I redirect her with the dog down command as soon as see or feel her signal, it is one of those issues that I just can't overcome. As I said, my dog is great with people, small dogs, & puppies, and will always play with them. But, I never, ever leave her alone with any other dog or a person who doesn't know how to handle a pitbull. As a responsible pit owner, I cannot, and will not, take any chances and set her up for failure. I do a lot of foster work and retraining of dogs that need to be rehomed, and when I leave the house without the dogs, they are always separated, no matter how well they have interacted.

As much as this may be a disappointment to your son, I would suggest holding off getting another dog. Your dog has been the only dog in your household for a while. She might even appear to be okay with a new dog at first, but the fact is, it only takes one "disagreement" between her and a new dog for it to end very badly. Unless you are positive that your son has the ability to always monitor and correct the situation, and he understands that the dogs can never, ever be left alone together, and you know that he will never do so, a new dog should not be brought into your home. Just tell him even experienced handlers have problems from time to time. It is just not worth the heartbreak it could cause.

I hope my input, as depressing as it may be for your son, has helped you in your decision.
    bfinstad Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Aug 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
    I have to agrre with Ruby pitbull about this. Pitbulls naturally have it in them to be dog aggressive, especially if she's used to being the only dog. Pitbulls are powerful dogs. You don't want to take the chance of it killing another dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

Dog dominance aggression [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old fixed male golden retriever. My problem is he is become increasing dominant aggressive with my and my teen boys. (Never with my husband though). He will take things (usually a remote or phone) and run behind a bed, couch, TV etc. When I reach in to try to get the...

Cat aggression [ 6 Answers ]

I recently adopted a cat from a shelter (she was in a foster home). She has come along very nicely with us but seeks every opportunity to attack my other 2 cats (both fixed and extremely mellow and passive) I have tried everything to discourage this behaviour to the point that the adopted cat knows...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Cat aggression. Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 yr old female cat. She is fixed and fully declawed. She is an indoor cat. She used to be very friendly and loved to cuddle, actually, she still is and does but less. However, these past 2 months just for a week or 2 out of the month she attacks me. It's really strange because she...

View more questions Search