Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dod_wow2000 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2005, 12:43 AM
    Alarm sound in windows
    How can I delete the occurring sound "alarm" when any mistakes happen in windows FD?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2005, 04:28 AM
    Windows FD?? No idea what you meant then. These instructions should help regardless of Windows version.

Go to the control panel. Look for an icon called "Sound" or "Sound & Audio Devices". Click that. On this window you should have a sound tab (if not just look for something like what I describe below). There will be a dropdown called "Sound Scheme" and under that there are the "Program Events" and their associated sounds. Either change the sound scheme to "No sounds" to remove all sounds, or just remove the ones you don't want in the program events are. In your case, remove exlamation and possibly asterisk.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Sounds
    Hi,
    Follow the instructions given by the other expert.
    They are usually under the Control Panel; then open Sounds.
    Click on the drop down arrow to see all the small "sound or speaker" icons next to things like "start up", "shut down", open programs, etc.
    You can choose which you don't want sounds to, then click on them.
    You can also choose what sound you want, on the same window.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    knair1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
    I also hate those awful alert sounds. When I'm listening to music and have to change my system volume, that beep can ruin my whole day. Basically LTheobalds advice worked for me, however I ran into an additional complication: I went to Control Panel->Sounds & Audio Devices->Sounds, then I found the sound called "Default Beep" (under heading "Windows"), and tried changing the associated .wav file to (None).

FAIL! This resulted in an even more hellish beeping noise, which plays at full volume regardless of what your actual volume is set to.

However, the following trick works: Create a 1 second .wav file of total silence. You can make it yourself with some sound editing program or get one here: freesound :: view sample :: Silence1.wav. Then, using the "browse" key, change the "Default Beep" to play your silent .wav file. For convenience, you may want to store the silent .wav file with the other system sounds in C:\WINDOWS\Media.

Silence is truly golden.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Zone Alarm Firewall [ 7 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP Home with Internet Explorer. For PC Protection I AVG Free Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware SE to detect and rmove Adware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware,Spybot,and Spyware Blaster to detect and remove spyware.Do you advise me to also download Zone Alarm Firewall protection. Some say yes and...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

View more questions Search