Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clover2706 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
    What should I charge to babysit a child?
    Im in the process of taking classes to get a babysitters certificate, when I start my business what should I charge an hour?:confused: PLEASE help me!
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I used to get paid 2 bucks an hour, but that was a while ago lol. I would say, between $4.50 and $5.00? Anyone else think that is fair?
    Kellyisawsome Posts: 106, Reputation: 5

Jul 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Yeah I would agree.
    I have babysat before and they paid me $5.00 an hour.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 31, 2007, 01:20 PM
    It depends on where you live.

In DC it's hard to get a babysitter for under $10/hr.

I would ask your instructors what an appropriate amount would be.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:22 PM
    I would charge minimum wage at least... which I think just went up to 6 something... but it really depends on the amount of kids and the time... I may create bulk rates for multiple kids, where the parents think they are saving a little... for instance. If you were going to watch one child for 6.00 an hour for 5 hours, that would be thirty dollars. If they have another child, I may say you get that child half off... so you would earn another 15 dollars, and they would feel like you are working with them... I would scout around and see what competition charges.
    You may also have different rates per hour for more kids... 6/hour for 1 child, 8/hour for 2, 10/hour for 3 or more... you see? This doesn't seem unreasonable to me...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 09:16 AM
    What does the class recommend you charge? Aren't there any guidelines presented as part of the class? Personally, when it comes to my kids, I usually pay $5/hour.
    adriana1318 Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Aug 2, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Five dollars an hour sound reasonable, however there are places where you can go and get into a list as a day care provider... Here in California it is called the Child Development Resources, and its basically state funded and you make your own contract... Having your day care provider certificate you get paid whatever your contract says and you make good money. My mom had a small day care at home, and she was getting paid about $3,000-4,000 a month for about 5-6 kids.:p
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2007, 08:42 AM
    There are two many variables. The age of the kids, the amount of time you will watch over them, the area you live in all play a part. The instructors should be able to help you with this.

I would charge a surcharge for kids in diapers. I would also charge more for day care then for babysitting while the parents go out for an evening.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:31 PM
    I do daycare at my home. I am cheap, I charge $500.00 a month for full time or hourly at $3.50/hour. I am low cost because well, to tell you the truth I feel sorry for people paying out their a$$ for daycare. I don't make a million but I make enough to be home with my children and to pay the bills. I wish you much luck and happiness, I hope it all goes well. Love those children they miss their moms and dads! Hugs, Start
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Depends on the situation and where you are.

Here in the midwest I've heard $4-5 is common for a teen. Its what I've paid most teens.

My friend who is rich and lives in malibu says 10-20 an hour is the norm, depending on the person, experience, etc.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Aug 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
    I got 5 and hour but is was for 2 kids id say like 4.25-4.75 because you can get people who will be cheaper
    kk5550123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clover2706
    Im in the process of taking classes to get a babysitters certificate, when i start my business what should i charge an hour?:confused: PLEASE help me!!
    To Whom It May Concern,

U sound like u can't decide what to do don't worry it will coem to u I am also working on starting up a babysitting job after I quit an old one I do not have a reference because I quit however I would slowly get to know the family and how many kids I am babysitting depending how long u are baby sitting will detemine how much u get paid, for example

A)1 HOUR=$10.00
    B)5 DAYS A WEEK=$50.00
    C)1Night=$30.00's top

u never want to charge too much but u never ever want to charge to little if u are still not sure what to charge by the time u start then set up a meeting with the parent/gardian or something and ask them how much do u think u will be able to pay me? It will coem to u keep thinking ttyl until then ,Bye
    kk5550123
    Maybaby100 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 10:22 AM
    15 dollars a day would be perfect for a child between 0-5 years old.
    6-10 would be good for 5 years and over, but it all depends.
    And an extra 15 or 20 dollars for overtime (after 7:45/8:00) If its later than 11, definitely 25
    But it all depends on the situation.
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
    I just started babysitting my sisiters baby, she is a teacher and don't make to much$ herself
    And I am home anyway so she gives me 300.00 a month which is 75.00 a week which is only about 11.00 a day. But it helps us both out a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age can a child babysit? [ 15 Answers ]

My child with my ex is 13. I have remarried and have 3 other children that my 13yr old babysits for occasionally. I returned to work part-time. Usually it is for 1-2 hrs but one day it eneded up being 4 hrs. My ex threatened to call the police and said it is illegal to have a 13 responsible for...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Do they have the Right to be in charge? [ 19 Answers ]

Why does the governernment have the right to be in charge? To even exist? I didn't agree to be Australian, I didn't vote to say "lets form a government" so why should I have to follow their rules, even acknwoledge their existence? Who in the first place, in history, actually said "Thats it, im...

Under Or Over Charge! [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Know If The System Under Or Over Charge Without Using The Gauge.

View more questions Search