Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jas17931 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2005, 08:53 AM
    1ST Floor Bath addition
    I am hoping someone can offer advice. I currently live in the NE in a 1/2 double home that is 80+ yrs old. Approx. 25 yrs ago an additional room was added to rear of first floor (nothing is above this room). This room currently has a large sink. I would like to/in process of gutting the room to add a shower, sink & toilet. The sink currently waste travels under floor to corner of the room where basement steps are located. The run comes out of the steps travels 7 ft and ties into the large stack pipe. The stack pipe runs vertically from the 2nd floor bathroom, through the common wall and into approx 2 ft of the concrete wall before it comes out and is accessible for 4 ft before traveling under concrete basement floor. My question is regards to venting; If I run the shower drain to sink drain into toilet waste, follow the same run as the sink drain with 3" or 4" and tie into stack would this cause a venting/code issue. There is currently a window above the sink and I cannot locate a vent off this fixture in the exposed framing. To create a loop that would tie into the stack above the proposed union I mentioned earlier is next to impossible. I am also trying to keep the run away from exterior walls due to weather conditions here in the north east. Or should I run the vent pipe for shower drain & sink drain up wall tie in together, then through roof; making a second vent. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2005, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas17931
    I am hoping someone can offer advice. I currently live in the NE in a 1/2 double home that is 80+ yrs old. Approx. 25 yrs ago an additional room was added to rear of first floor (nothing is above this room). This room currently has a large sink. I would like to/in process of gutting the room to add a shower, sink & toilet. The sink currently waste travels under floor to corner of the room where basement steps are located. The run comes out of the steps travels 7 ft and ties into the large stack pipe. The stack pipe runs vertically from the 2nd floor bathroom, through the common wall and into approx 2 ft of the concrete wall before it comes out and is accessable for 4 ft before traveling under concrete basement floor. My question is regards to venting; If I run the shower drain to sink drain into toilet waste, follow the same run as the sink drain with 3" or 4" and tie into stack would this cause a venting/code issue. There is currently a window above the sink and I cannot locate a vent off of this fixture in the exposed framing. To create a loop that would tie into the stack above the proposed union I mentioned earlier is next to impossible. I am also trying to keep the run away from exterior walls due to weather conditions here in the north east. Or should I run the vent pipe for shower drain & sink drain up wall tie in together, then through roof; making a second vent. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

You asked," If I run the shower drain to sink drain into toilet waste, follow the same run as the sink drain with 3" or 4" and tie into stack would this cause a venting/code issue?" Not if you can revent the lavatory vent back in the attic to a existing roof vent thus venting the entire group.
    You lost me when you said," There is currently a window above the sink and I cannot locate a vent off of this fixture in the exposed framing."
    Are you saying the old sink wasn't vented or that you want the new sink to set under a window and you can't figure a way to vent it? Please rephrase the question and get back to me. Tom

Aug 3, 2005, 02:34 PM
    The existing sink is located under a window, it is currently not vented (purchased home 3 yrs ago, sink was already installed never had any problems). I plan on replacing that sink. The new one will be located in same position. If you were facing that sink, I planned for shower to be on left hand side, toilet on right hand side. Run starting at shower down to sink to toilet... to stack (3 sides/2 90 degree bends). I am unable to vent into stack above point where proposed tie in would take place.. Only solution I could see would be a new vent/hole in roof of addition... would that present a code problem, or must top of vent be above roof line of 2nd floor? My question regarding sink was; As it sits the only way I could vent upward would be to run vent up 6" to base of window, 90 degree bend and run horizontally for 13" to edge of window frame before continue run up wall. I was looking for options?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2005, 03:28 PM
    The existing sink is located under a window, it is currently not vented (purchased home 3 yrs ago, sink was already installed never had any problems). I plan on replacing that sink. The new one will be located in exact same position. If you were facing that sink, I planned for shower to be on left hand side, toilet on right hand side. Run starting at shower down to sink to toilet.... to stack (3 sides/2 90 degree bends). I am unable to vent into stack above point where proposed tie in would take place..Only solution I could see would be a new vent/hole in roof of addition...would that present a code problem, or must top of vent be above roof line of 2nd floor? My question regarding sink was; As it sits the only way I could vent upward would be to run vent up 6" to base of window, 90 degree bend and run horizontally for 13" to edge of window frame before continue run up wall. I was looking for options?

Things are a little clearer now. Do you have a attic? As I see it you'll make the main 3" starting with a sanitary tee at the stack running to a 3" closet bend with a 2" heel inlet using sweeps instead of 90's to make your corners. Coming out of the closet bend with 2" you can run down to one side of the window and place a 2"combination wye and 1/8th bend with the branch facing the wall the lavatory will set on. Use a 2"short sweep and come up the wall 17 1/2" to the center of a 2 X 2 X1 1/2"drainage tee. From the tee you can arm over to the center of the window and stub out to pick up the lavatory. You may then raise off the drainage tee for a vent. You may run the vent vertical or horzontal up through the roof or if you wish revent back into a existing vent if you don't wish to make a hole through the roof. The shower will tie into the end of the open tee and be wet vented by the lavatory vent. Does this work for you? Tom

Aug 3, 2005, 03:30 PM
    Tom,
    You're the man!! I really appreciate it, thanks again. Jason
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Tom,
    Your the man!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it, thanks again. Jason
    Hey Jason, Let me know how you make out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting half bath to full bath [ 9 Answers ]

My question refers to a half bath we are in the planning stages of converting to a full bath in the basement. Currently our basement has a half bath with toilet and sink on one half of the basement. There is then a shower on the other side of the basement with the washer and dryer, about 30 feet...

Cutting cement for plumbing 3/4 bath to full bath [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the middle of changing our basement 3/4 bath into a full bath. The bathroom is 5.5' by 13.5'. We want to put the sink where the shower was and put a tub/shower where the sink was. (because the space where the shower was is too small for a tub). The old sink drain is centered 4...

New 2nd Floor 1/2 bath [ 3 Answers ]

I own a 1942 bungalow with a single 1st floor bathroom. I would like to add a 1/2 bath to the 2nd floor. The vent from the basement/1st floor passes through the upstairs bedroom. The stack is behind a plaster 'bump out' on an exterior wall that is about 16" wide and 3" deep. Whether I do the...

Revent 1st floor fixtures when adding attic 1/2 bath? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, thanks ahead of time for any help you can offer. My house is a cape cod. I'm converting the attic into master suite with half bath. (yes, I had it checked, I have egress/access/structural support). My question deals with reventing. It is my understanding that all current vents have to be...

View more questions Search