Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CoolBreeze Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2005, 04:56 AM
    Help With Avatars - pleeez!
    This is going to sound really dumb, I know, but how do I add an avatar to my signature and how do I use it on different forums?

I've found various sites and seen ones I like, but I don't know what to do next! Also, one last thing - how do I create my own?

I feel stupid *and rather daft* asking all this, but hey - we've all got to start somewhere!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2005, 05:22 AM
    Click on My Profile. You can edit your signature and put a link to an online graphic.

Aug 3, 2005, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Click on My Profile. You can edit your signature and put a link to an online graphic.
    *feels even more stupid now* - I'm really not very good at this! I did what you said but it didn't seem very clear to me what I had to do next - please forgive me, I've not been doing this computer thing for very long - most of it I can get my head round - but these avatars are giving me a right headache lol! Really appreciate you trying to help - I just think I'm doomed never to have a little piccie under my signature *boo hoo* hehe
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Like my Ralphie picture? :)

Like Scott said, click on My Profile on the dark blue bar at the top of the page, then click on Edit Photo from the links on the left. At that point you would either have a picture on your PC that you want to use or a picture on the web that you want to use. The photo has to fit a certain criteria which is detailed at the bottom of that box.

Good luck!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2005, 04:19 AM
    • Find the picture you want and save it to your PC.
    • Join a free image hosting site (e.g. http://www.imageshack.us/)
    • You should be able to upload your picture to that site and it will give you a web address you can use to access your picture.
    • Then go to the forum you would like to have an avatar/signature on. Most of the time this kind of information is editable in your profile. Find the screen where you can change your avatar/signature. For avatars, you should be given a text box where you can just enter the web address of your picture. For signatures you'll need some BBCode. Enter the following into your signature:

Code:
      [img]<Address of your pic here>[/img]

e.g. [img]http;//www.ltheobald.co.uk/images/something.gif[/img] <-- Would normally start http://

Hopefully that'll help. As for drawing your own one - just open a graphics program and start drawing.

You could use the web address of any existing pictures but this will mean you are leeching off other people's bandwidth. Also a lot of times people have protection for this kind of think that means your picture won't display. One final note, taking somebody else's picture is considered stealing. Make sure you email them for permission before using their pictures.

Aug 4, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    • Find the picture you want and save it to your PC.
    • Join a free image hosting site (e.g. http://www.imageshack.us/)
    • You should be able to upload your picture to that site and it will give you a web address you can use to access your picture.
    • Then go to the forum you would like to have an avatar/signature on. Most of the time this kind of information is editable in your profile. Find the screen where you can change your avatar/signature. For avatars, you should be given a text box where you can just enter the web address of your picture. For signatures you'll need some BBCode. Enter the following into your signature:

Code:
      [img]<Address of your pic here>[/img]

e.g. [img]http;//www.ltheobald.co.uk/images/something.gif[/img] <-- Would normally start http://

Hopefully that'll help. As for drawing your own one - just open a graphics program and start drawing.

You could use the web address of any existing pictures but this will mean you are leeching off other people's bandwidth. Also a lot of times people have protection for this kind of think that means your picture won't display. One final note, taking somebody elses picture is considered stealing. Make sure you email them for permission before using their pictures.
    Thanks for the step by step instructions - much appreciated!

You've set things out really clearly and I guess that's what I needed - I kind of understand most of what you're saying, but being someone who's only been using a computer for a few weeks, things that are second nature to most people, *like avatars* hehe, I seem to have trouble with! *what am I like* haha.

Just a couple of questions still, if you don't mind.

Are there special sites I have to go to to find a picture, and how do I know if it belongs to someone? Also, how do I save a picture to my PC and where do I find it's web address?

I actually do feel really stupid for asking what must seem really basic questions, but how else am I ever going to learn stuff!

Many thanks for all your help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2005, 06:14 AM
    First no need to feel stupid. Inexperience and stupidity are two very different things. Inexperience can be cured and you are on your way to that.

Second, sorry if my initial response was insufficient, but I wasn't sure how much you knew or didn't know.

The issue here is that the images you see on WEB pages are stored on a server somewhere and linked to using some HTML code on the WEB page (HTML is the language used to format WEB pages).

So to include a picture in your sig or by your name, you need to link to a picture somewhere on the WEB. That means you have to have some storage space like the imageshack site LT told you about.

When you upload the picture you will then know what the address is. It will look like a regular WEB address (URL).

As for whether a pic belongs to someone, you would have to look on the site for copyright info.

Aug 4, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First no need to feel stupid. Inexperience and stupidity are two very different things. Inexperience can be cured and you are on your way to that.

Second, sorry if my initial response was insufficient, but I wasn't sure how much you knew or didn't know.

The issue here is that the images you see on WEB pages are stored on a server somewhere and linked to using some HTML code on the WEB page (HTML is the language used to format WEB pages).

So to include a picture in your sig or by your name, you need to link to a picture somewhere on the WEB. That means you have to have some storage space like the imageshack site LT told you about.

When you upload the picture you will then know what the address is. It will look like a regular WEB address (URL).

As for whether a pic belongs to someone, you would have to look on the site for copyright info.
    Thank you - I feel much better!

There's really no need to apologise - you're helping me when you don't have to and for that, I'm very grateful!

I've gone to the Image Shack link and it says 'Drag File Here'. I know how to drag a file, but obviously I need a picture in the first place. This aspect seems to be the bit I'm having the problem with. I kind of think I know roughly what to do with the picture once I've actually got it - I just don't know where to go to get one in the first place! From what I could see, Image Shack have their own selection of pics and images, seems quite straightforward to upload one - so I registered and a message came back, saying trouble with registration - maybe cookies?!

I'M HAVING A VERY BAD DAY! *sob sob*

Aug 4, 2005, 07:25 AM
    I do believe I'm nearly there! *breathes huge sigh of relief* haha.

I've registered at ImageShack and for some reason, the registration link on my confirmation e-mail won't work - apparently I can highlight, copy and paste the link to my browser URL bar and that'll work fine. Well, I've highlighted (have no idea how to copy) and dragged it to a file, but how do I drag it to a URL *not that sure what this is*?

This will at least get me into ImageShack *wonders what delights will meet me there* haha

All offers of help in this last bit would be hugely welcomed, as is everyone's help so far!!

Thank you.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2005, 07:47 AM
    There's plenty of places you can go to get pictures. Here are two great ones:

http://www.deviantart.com
    http://www.google.co.uk/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q= <-- Google image search

DeviantArt is a great site and you'll find all the pictures on there put into different categories - there might even be an avatar one!

And like Scott said, no need to feel stupid - we all have to start somewhere. Also I bet there's a lot of things of know a lot about, while we know nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hello... I still need help finding my avatar that I wanted or if anyone could help me design one. I only wanted a basic black background with a silver infinity on it at least 61x61pixels, please let me know. Ali

Hello, I am new to this site. I need help in designing my own avatar. It's just a basic black background with a silver Infinity avatar about 61X61 pixels. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thank you JA

Usernames and avatars [ 92 Answers ]

I'm just curious about the significance of everyone's usernames and avatars, if you have an avatar. For me, my username is orange because orange is my favorite color and also my favorite fruit. :) My avatar is a painting I did for a friend, of her cat that died a while back.

Song title and artist pleeez! [ 1 Answers ]

It plays on a hard rock station, sounds like the black crows? "Im all lit up again, on my couch, in my bed.....then it goes "I love that cocaine"

? About avatars, siggys, photobucket [ 1 Answers ]

I have just figured out how to add an avatar to my username on a board that I go to. Yeah! But I can't seem to understand the siggy instructions. For the avatar, I just copied and pasted the URL into the Avatar box. But for the siggy, they have different instructions that include doing the ...

View more questions Search