Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    forestermatt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2005, 09:53 PM
    Stinky Master Toilet
    Hello. I am having a problem w/a stinky master bedroom commode. 4-level house is 18 years old and since we moved in @8 years ago, the top floor master johnnie has had about a 50-60% 'clear ratio' when flushed. It really never gets stopped up, but you have to sometimes flush it 1-3 times to evacuate/replace all of the bowl water. I have tried reducing the water flow level at the intake valve w/no success. So, I've lived w/it for years. All other johns on the other 3 floors work fine w/o smell. About 3 weeks ago, we got hit w/2-3 weeks of 95+ temperatures. At that time, the master john developed a sewer vent type smell.
    To date, I have done several things to try and fix/investigate this:
    1.) Got on the roof and checked that the vent was not clogged (of course, one can only see so far down), but w/a flashlight it looked OK
    2.) I drained both the bowl and tank and then pured a full gallon of bleach in the bowl and a 2nd gallon in the tank (after washing the inside of each w/bleach too). Let it set 2 days and then flushed it out. For 3 or so days, the smell was replaced w/the cleaner essence of the bleach. However, the smell has returned. When I do flush it the incoming water smells odorless, but after a while the smell comes back. Funnily, the toilet seems to clear more often, but that is likely no coincidence. The temperature outside has dropped since and I still have a stinker john.
    Can any one tell me what's up? It seems like a venting thing to me, but how could a vent get stopped up. If it was the vent, how do you clear it? On the other hand, I 've heard replace the wax ring to replace the whole john. Maybe it is just a bad wax ring seal between flange and bowl?
    Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.

Matt
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2005, 03:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by forestermatt
    Hello. I am having a problem w/a stinky master bedroom commode. 4-level house is 18 years old and since we moved in @8 years ago, the top floor master johnnie has had about a 50-60% 'clear ratio' when flushed. It really never gets stopped up, but you have to sometimes flush it 1-3 times to evacuate/replace all of the bowl water. I have tried reducing the water flow level at the intake valve w/no success. So, I've lived w/it for years. All other johns on the other 3 floors work fine w/o smell. About 3 weeks ago, we got hit w/2-3 weeks of 95+ temperatures. At that time, the master john developed a sewer vent type smell.
    To date, I have done several things to try and fix/investigate this:
    1.) Got on the roof and checked that the vent was not clogged (of course, one can only see so far down), but w/a flashlight it looked ok
    2.) I drained both the bowl and tank and then pured a full gallon of bleach in the bowl and a 2nd gallon in the tank (after washing the inside of each w/bleach too). Let it set 2 days and then flushed it out. For 3 or so days, the smell was replaced w/the cleaner essence of the bleach. However, the smell has returned. When I do flush it the incoming water smells odorless, but after a while the smell comes back. Funnily, the toilet seems to clear more often, but that is likely no coincidence. The temperature outside has dropped since and I still have a stinker john.
    Can any one tell me what's up? It seems like a venting thing to me, but how could a vent get stopped up. If it was the vent, how do you clear it? On the other hand, I 've heard replace the wax ring to replace the whole john. Maybe it is just a bad wax ring seal between flange and bowl?
    Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.

Matt

Good morning Matt,

Let's check what most repair plumbers miss. When you flush does your toilet fill the bowl, swirl around and go down slowly? There is a small hole at the base of the bowl. This is the jet that starts the syphon action out of the bowl. Take your finger and run it around that hole. It should be smooth. If it is rough or blocked you have mineral buildup stopping the flow of water to the jet. Take a old table knife and put a bend in the blade so that it will fit in the hole. Now scrape and chip the mineral out of the hole. If that don't do it, click on back and we will go to "plan B". Regards, Tom

Aug 3, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Tom,

Thanks for the advice. The bowl does fill up to a high level, swirl a lot, and always goes down slowly. Sometime the bowl will clear - sometimes not. We do have heavy mineral type deposits in the area where I live. I will check the jet hole and see what I can find in terms of it being clogged. Do you think a plugged up jet hole would cause the smell or just cause the water to drain poorly- or BOTH?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Tom,

Thanks for the advice. The bowl does fill up to a high level, swirl alot, and always goes down slowly. Sometime the bowl will clear - sometimes not. We do have heavy mineral type deposits in the area where I live. I will check the jet hole and see what I can find in terms of it being clogged. Do you think a plugged up jet hole would cause the smell or just cause the water to drain poorly- or BOTH?

Check and, if necessary, clear the jet. Then get back to me with the results.
    Hang in there. Tom

Aug 4, 2005, 08:41 PM
    I found the jet somewhat built up with deposits and cleaned/gouged it out w/a knife. Flushing seems to go a bit better, but still a little slow. The smell has not subsided, however. Could it be the wax ring? I have no idea, so am only guessing. Thanks for sticking w/me, Tom!

Matt
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2005, 06:14 AM
    I found the jet somewhat built up with deposits and cleaned/gouged it out w/a knife. Flushing seems to go a bit better, but still a little slow. The smell has not subsided, however. Could it be the wax ring? I have no idea, so am only guessing. Thanks for sticking w/me, Tom!

Matt

Good morning Matt,

In your original complaint you said," When I do flush it the incoming water smells odorless, but after a while the smell comes back"
    That would tend to eliminate the tank as the culprit. How long after the bowl fills does it take to began smelling? The Does the smell come from the water in the bowl or could there be bacterial growth in the hollow rim? Is the base of the bowl caulked? Is the smell worse at the water level in the bowl or at the base? Any moisture around the base? Unless you have a low bowl level the toilet trap prevents sewer gas from entering the bowl. I'm trying to avoid suggesting pulling and resetting the toilet but it's coming closer.
    Give me some answers and I'll respond ASAP. Tom

Aug 7, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Hello, Tom. Miracle of miracles! While I can't explain it, I noticed the smell was really coming from the bowl regrdless of new water intake each time. I used a small mirror and found some significant bacterial growth under one section of the rim like you hinted at. I followed another post you made sometime back about bleaching the bowl out (as well as the tank like I did earlier) and eradicated the hidden bacteria. While it does smell sort of 'bleachy', the growth is gone and I sense NO HINT of the smell know. I'll moniter the next few days, but here it has been over 24 hours and the bad smell is definitely subsided. Stay tuned and thanks again.

Matt
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Hello, Tom. Miracle of miracles! While I can't explain it, I noticed the smell was really coming from the bowl regrdless of new water intake each time. I used a small mirror and found some significant bacterial growth under one section of the rim like you hinted at. I followed another post you made sometime back about bleaching the bowl out (as well as the tank like I did earlier) and eradicated the hidden bacteria. While it does smell sorta 'bleachy', the growth is gone and I sense NO HINT of the smell know. I'll moniter the next few days, but here it has been over 24 hours and the bad smell is definitely subsided. Stay tuned and thanks again.

Matt
    Good morning Matt,

God ! But I love it when a plan comes together! I was running out of suggestions. My next one was to suggest pulling the toilet, bleaching out under the base and resetting with a new wax ring. You may have to shut off the supply, empty the tank and pour in a jug of bleach. Then flush and let set overnight so the area directly below the tank and all of the rim gets the benefit a full cleansing and the bacteria doesn't get a chance to regroup and take over your potty again. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Rotten Egg Hot Water [ 18 Answers ]

I know several questions have been posted on this topic, but here is my situation and I am hoping someone will have a few words of wisdom. My home is 2 yrs old and I am on well water-very hard well water. I had no problems with taste, smell etc. except the hard water spots until now. In Feb....

Loud Noise From Toilet In Master Bath [ 4 Answers ]

Help, we have lived in this home for about 4 years. It was new construction. Recently we have started having a loud noise when you flush the toilet in just one bathroom. The noise actually fades away after the toilet has completed the flushing action. It does not sound like a pipe it is almost...

Stinky Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 males cats; a Siamese and a Maine Coon. When these boys use the litter box the smell is unbearable! Is it because they are boys and don't cover up their business with litter? Is it the food I am feeding them? I have tried every type litter, deoderant powder, etc... I keep their litter...

New Master Bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have read some earlier posts and thought they were very informative, so I thought I would post my delema. I have built a new addition part of which is a new master bath. Along the backwall there is (in row) Toilet, Tub and a separate shower. My original plans call for a 3" drain connecting...

Another stinky bathroom question [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to the forums here and to home improvement. My husband and I just bought our first "fixer upper". So far it's been a learn as you go process. Anyway we have a ranch with a downstairs half bath that has a horrible smell coming from it but only some of the time. I got some advice and have...

View more questions Search