Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cherish1869 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 09:20 AM
    My 4 month old son has no father on his birth certificate and the father said he would sign over his rights. If I have a document that I print up for him to sign over his rights and have it notarized then can that be good enough instead of going to a lawyer? Then I am getting married and can he adopt him at such time? What do I have to do?? HELP!!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
    You'll want a lawyer to draft a motion to adopt. You, the biological father, your husband and the judge all have to sign it, at which point it becomes legal and binding. That will relieve the biological father of having to make any further support payments, but he'll still be legally liable for the $15,000 arrearage that has already accrued.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherish1869
    My 4 month old son has no father on his birth certificate and the father said he would sign over his rights. If I have a document that I print up for him to sign over his rights and have it notarized then can that be good enough instead of going to a lawyer? Then I am getting married and can he adopt him at such time? What do I have to do???HELP!!!
    It might be, but to be on the safe side I'd get a lawyer to do it for you. This seems like a fairly cut-and-dry case, so having a lawyer shouldn't cost you an inordinate amount of money, perhaps $1000 or so at most.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my unborn child'd father to sign his rights over [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure how this all works, but. I was dating this guy and a month into the relationship I ended up pregnant. When I was about 3 months pregnant we broke up. He declares that the baby is not his (even though it is) he doesn't believe me. He wants a DNA test done to see if it is and if it is...

Force father to sign away rights [ 2 Answers ]

My question is... as a mother with sole legal and physical custody of my child... can I force the biological father to sign away his parental rights if he refuses?

Can a father sign rights over [ 15 Answers ]

My question is... can a father sign his rights over to the child's mother or does there have to be a third party involved for the biological father to sign his rights over to? In other words... my sister had a baby with a man who is not currently present in the child's life. She wants him to sign...

Father wants to sign over rights in FL [ 2 Answers ]

My son's father keeps threating to sign over his rights, he said he does not need my permission and I can't stop him. He only wants to do this because he has just gotten a job and now has to pay. We have not received anything from him in almost a year, can he really do this and can I do anything to...

How do I get the father of my children to sign over rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 23 and have 2 children by the same man. We have had an on/off relationship for the past 4 years. Recently We broke up for the last time when he hurt me physically for the first time. I would really like to get our lives on track and have a better life. I would perfer for him to not be in it. ...

View more questions Search