Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    transporter2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Wife recently left home with our child
    Hello all,

I am new here and need a bit of help, my wife of six years recently left home and took our 4 year old little girl with her. It was not a huge shock since we had been having problems but she was the one who was being unfaithful and I was the clean one. We are not separated or divorce and neither one of us has filed yet.

She will not tell me where they live but I do know they are in the same state and have not move that far since my wife works here in town and cannot afford to quit her job so they have not left the state. The bad part is I do not have enough money to hire attorney right away and I am at a lost as to what I should be doing.

I am a hurt dad that just wants to know that his little girl is OK and that as soon as daddy can afford legal help I will come to the rescue.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2007, 03:50 PM
    You don't have much of a choice. You need to file for separation or divorce ASAP. You need to freeze or withdraw the amounts in any joint bank accounts before she does. You need to file in Family Court for joint custody and visitation rights. Since I suspect your wife will fight you on this you will NEED an attorney. Go to one for a free consult immediately.

Jul 28, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Thanks Scott,

I have already closed all the joint accounts which she did try to wipe out, thank God the one account she tired only had a small balance. I have gone to my local court and did obtain the free 30min Pro SE help which did not give much info but it was free so I guess that's all you get. I guess at this point I need to file on my own and not wait until I can afford an attorney which is going to be a while.

Jul 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
    If the divorce is uncontested you can get by without an attorney. If your wife fights it and it sounds like she will, you will need one.

And please don't cross post. I've asked your other thread be removed.

Jul 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Sorry about the cross post, thanks for your help so what type of divorce should I file for I want custody and visiation plus I need to know where they moved to.

Jul 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
    The types of divorce are dependent on your area. The first thing, I think is to file for official separation. As part of that filing you request custody and visitation. Since you know where your wife works, you can have her served the summons there.

Jul 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Thanks again for the fast reply I don't want to watse anymore time trying to save money for a retainer so I think its in my best interest to file on my own since time can't be on my side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife left me and took kids. [ 32 Answers ]

I'm in the military first of all so everything I do is scrutinized and monitered by the military. My wife left me and took my two kids. She won't talk to me about what she thinks or what she feels. Every time we talk I get anger and frustration. We have had a very hard marriage. We have been...

Terrible odor recently appears in home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! Recently I have noticed a pungent smell coming from our laundry area/porch - this is the first room you enter when you enter our house. The smell is not coming from the washer/dryer however. This smell is rank and can only be compared to a cross of burnt popcorn and skunk. The...

Do I need to be tested as a wife of one who was recently diagnosed with Hepatitis C? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband was recently diagnosed with Hepatitis C. They think he may have contracted it many years ago as a teenager through shared needles. If this is the case, he's had it since before we met. We've been married for 26 years. Am I at risk. If I have it, could my children have been born with it?

On H1b, wife and Kid joined me recently and need to get tax exemption for them. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Oct -06 alone. My wife and kid were in india till Mar-07 when they came here. I filed my tax returns individually thinking that they are not eligible for tax exemption. My friends told me that they can be included now and I can apply for tax amendment. My earning were $10000...

Child negligence - left home alone [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Friends, My name is Tom. I am a father of a 10 year-old girl and a 5 year-old boy. My children live in 2 separate households. One week with their mother and one week with me. For the past 3 years, their mother continues to leave the children home alone. It got worse as she contiunes to...

View more questions Search