Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    torr43 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 02:57 PM
    My husband got a default final judgement letter in the mail he says he is not going to it ,we live in flordia ,I do not work we have 3 kids and just make it we can't afford to pay this debt,what can these creditors do next ,can they garnish his wages or freeze his account or come to take stuff out of our house ? I'm so worried we could lose what we have :( Any advice would be great so I can try to talk to him about it

What is attach his bank account ,so should he not show up for that either ,Yes he was supossed to appear in court prior for medition but we can not afford to pay them so now they sent the default judgement this was for a credit card.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 03:04 PM
    What type of creditor, if there was a security given for household items ?

Normally they will garnish pay, attach bank accounts and the such.
    Why was it a defaut judgement, the time to fight it, was before the court date, and you should have appeared at court and gotten a payment plan if possible though the court. I am sorry but you have a debt, don't work out a payment plan, don't show up at court to try and defend it, and now you are worreid they will take your money ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Hello torr:

In Florida they can't garnish his wages, but they CAN attach his bank account. No, they can't take stuff out of your house.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Not showing up is a big mistake. If you read many of the similar threads here there are often ways to fight these things. Not showing up is handing them a judgement and it will allow them to take your bank accounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FINAL FANTASY book? Similar to final fantasy? [ 5 Answers ]

Im a big fan of FINAL FANTASY games and there are no final fantasy books/novels. Does anybody know any other books that are similar to final fantasy stories??

What can creditors get in ny after judgement? [ 8 Answers ]

I was contacted by a creditor saying that there will be a summons issued to me for a debt I owe. I have never been sued before and I am not sure how this works. My main question is what assets can a creditor go after after there is a judgement awarded? I know they can garnish you wages and get...

Is an unsigned judgement final? [ 4 Answers ]

I have already gone to court for my divorce and was talked into settling and agreeing to a settlement after spending 9 hours at court without ever seeing the judge or being heard by the judge. I was not happy with the decision by the judge that my husband does not have to pay my attorney fees. ...

Creditors [ 2 Answers ]

My car was impounded in Washington state. I offered to give the towing company my title for the car, they said that I still have to pay for it staying in the garage even though they had they title. Before they said this they sent me a letter saying they were going to sell it. How can the charge me...

Final fantasy 8 and final fantasy x on ps2 [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone played these two games as I was wondering if they are worth buying

View more questions Search