Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtr33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Not Notifying Credit Card Company
    My mother died 2 1/2 yrs ago with no estate. She owned a home. We had a joint checking account. I did not notify her credit card company of her death because I was afraid they would take my money out of our joint checking account. Instead I have been paying her bill. The credit card company was informed of my mothers death and wants me to settle her account. They will now be know she died 2 1/2 yrs ago. What will happen?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
    If the credit card was only in her name your not responsible for the debt. You should have, and should transfer the money from this joint account to one only in your name.

They might be able to recover some money if they get a lawyer and can prove that most of the money in this joint account was hers but it could be your word against theirs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
    You say your mother owned a home, therefore she DID have an estate with the home being the primary asset. Unless, the home was owned with someone else as joint tenants with right of survivorship, then the value of the home was part of her estate. Before the estate can be distributed any debts would have to be paid.

Also the fact that you have been making payments on the balance could be construed that you acknowledged responsibility for the debt.

So what happened to the house? And what's the balance of the account?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jul 26, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr33
    My mother died 2 1/2 yrs ago with no estate. She owned a home. We had a joint checking account. I did not notify her credit card company of her death becuz I was afraid they would take my money out of our joint checking account. Instead I have been paying her bill. The credit card company was informed of my mothers death and wants me to settle her account. They will now be know she died 2 1/2 yrs ago. What will happen?
    Pay the account balance and close the card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have a Lawsuit against credit card company [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I had a credit card with chase for a long time,over 15 years I believe. My husband is havig an affair with another women and took out credit card in his name using her address and phone number.Chase can see there are 3 credit cards,One in my name and two has her name and address. ...

Sues by Credit Card Company [ 1 Answers ]

I received a citation where a credit card company is suing me for a debt thst eas back in 2000. They command that I be there. I just wanted to know can they command me to do anything. Thanks J

Being sued by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. I am being sued For a credit card in civil court. What can they take or do to me?

Credit Card Company Suing me [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was served this week, capitol one credit card co is suing me for $1200.00 over an account that I have not made payment on in several years, 4 I believe, due to loss of income. I called their attorneys office directly, the ones listed on the legal papers I was served with, but they...

Sued by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

What do I do when sued by credit card company?

View more questions Search