Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Papaia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Taxes for alien physician on J-1 Visa
    I am an Italian citizen and a physician.

I've lived in the US from November 2003 until October 2004 with a J-1 visa. At that point I was an "observer" and had no income in the US.

Now I have won a position for a 4 year program of formal training (fellowship), which includes 1.5 to 2 years of basic research and I will receive a salary from the University in the U.S. I am here on a J-1 Visa.

Am I eligible for exemption of taxes according to the US income and capital tax convention?

Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
    You are NOT eligible for the cited exemption because the duration of your stay exceeds two years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nonresident Alien Taxes doing Buissnes Abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I am an artists, on a J-2 visa in the US. I have received some money through the year from abroad due to the sale of art works. Do I need to file a tax return for it? Should I pay taxes for Income on those works? What does the IRS law say? I have been browsing through it, bit its confusing and it...

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

Non-Resident Alien taxes on profits from shares/dividends/interest [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of filing my taxes for 2006 as a non-resident alien, since I was on OPT/F-1 visa for most of 2006. Towards the end of 2006, I sold some shares of a US company that I had been holding since before I came to the US. I also earned some dividends on that share. Additinally, I...

H1 VISA and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I was told, I can deduct (itemized) all the expences related to stay (like apartment rent, food etc... ) since I am on H1-B visa. I have been working for the same employer in the same location for the past 5 years. I have allways done standard deduction. Is this true in anyway? Thanks

Capital Gains Taxes for an indian non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to find out if I am liable for capital gains taxes on my primary home that I plan to sell. It is the very first house that I have bought. I am an indian citizen and on F-1 visa. India does have a tax treaty with US but I am not sure what the IRS says with respect to capital gains. Can...

View more questions Search