Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissamoore1988 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 05:35 PM
    recent paternity test proves he's not the father but he has joint custody
    OK my x boyfriend signed the borth certificate and the decleration of paternity but I just found out that he is not the father and he just took me to court to get jiont custody and he was granted that. He is very irresposible and he smokes drinks and his friends get in shoot outs with their enemies. So how would I go about getting full cusody and just dropping him all together?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
    It depends in the US on what state, and how long he has been on the birth certificate. IN some US states, after a number of years in some states if they are listed on the birth certificate and do not contest it, they remain legally the father. ( not right but it is the law in a few states)

In most, you will have to file a motion in court to get his rights removed.
    melissamoore1988 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It depends in the US on what state, and how long he has been on the birth certificate. IN some US states, after a number of years in some states if they are listed on the birth certificate and do not contest it, they remain legally the father. ( not right but it is the law in a few states)

In most, you will have to file a motion in court to get his rights removed.
    Well I live in cali and my daughter is 5 months old so I just have to get a motion to remove his rights
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissamoore1988
    ok my x boyfriend signed the borth certificate and the decleration of paternity but i just found out that he is not the father and he just took me to court to get jiont custody and he was granted that. He is very irresposible and he smokes drinks and his friends get in shoot outs with their enemies. So how would i go about getting full cusody and just dropping him all together?
    It is very sad to read that a woman does not know who her baby father is... In California your chance is to find the biological father and to sue him and your ex... In court eyes your ex boyfriend is the LEGAL father and he has all rights and duties as a father without meaning of blood relation... If he does not like to avoid his parental rights you cannot do anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Test / Child Support / Custody [ 13 Answers ]

I got pregnant in January of 2005 by a guy I had been with for about 7 months. As soon as I said the word, he demanded I have an abortion and he was out the door. I couldn't go through with the abortion, and I had considered adoption but in the end I couldn't do that either. I had the baby 5 weeks...

I might be pregnant but the recent test was negative [ 3 Answers ]

I am 32, I am 12 days late for my period, and yesterday I have a light brown discharge . My periods are always right on time.I am very tired .The problem is I have intra uterine device (copper t)... I am worried about the ectopic pregnancy.I did a home pregnancy test yesterday and it came...

I might be pregnant but the recent test was negative [ 1 Answers ]

The last time I had sex with my now exboyfriend was around the first week of December. About a week later I had a full normal period which was 7 days long(normal). I started my current period Wednesday and by Friday I was no longer bleeding, not even spotting. :confused: This has never...

Paternity test proves NO [ 11 Answers ]

:cool: Hey: Need some advise. My 20 yr old son was ordered to take DNA paternity test while in jail. The results came back NEGAVTIVE. He is not the biological father. (in writing,on paper) The court has jurisdiction and now wants him to take another test

Paternity... dna test proved I'm not father [ 2 Answers ]

Well this is definitely one of the most tragic things i have been through. Of course im not happy with the final results but i am in a downhill battle because of it. I found out after 4 1/2 years of paying child support that i am not the father of my child. I haven't seen the child in almost...

View more questions Search