Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cckc_rc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Should I pay back after 14 years
    I was sued for $1300.00 14 years ago in Ontario Canada, by a business partner, went to small claims court she won, but when it was time for her to give her address to the judge she said she did not have one, the judge then said until she mailed me her address I could not start paying monthly payments, well 14 years later she called and left a message where I could send the money in full. Should I still pay her? Thanks need advice
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jul 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Whether you pay voluntarily is up to you. All we can advise is that judgments from that time remain enforceable for up to 20 years.

This means the judgment creditor still has about six years to initiate enforcement proceedings against you should you refuse to pay. (Enforcement could involve garnishment of wages or bank accounts, writs on real or personal property, or being summoned to a debtor's examintion.)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
    In the U.S. such a judgement would probably be considered valid, despite any reasonable attempts from the plaintiff to collect for such an inordinate number of years. You could hold off on paying and see what happens but if she takes you back to court for failing to pay you'd probably lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If they paid me in error, do I have to pay it back? [ 7 Answers ]

I was just told that my catastrophic health insurance sent me an $11,000 check last May, that was an accident. The money is long gone. What is my responsibility to repay them when I don't have the money any more. It took them 9 months to tell me. Thanks. Gail

How to pay him back? [ 11 Answers ]

My partner lately has been very giving and affectionate, he takes me out to dinner, he drives all the way from 5 suburbs just to drive me home which is a 5 seconds drive, he pays for absolutely everything and he constantly buys me perfume, jewellery. This is all great except that fact that he...

Getting back together w/ my x of 2 years [ 24 Answers ]

well I don't want you guys reading what happened but from my previous post, my x and I have dated for 2 years, I dumped her, tried coming back she said no, than after a month of calling her begging her etc... I left her alone, and one day she called me saying she does love me, so there we tried...

The best pay back [ 8 Answers ]

The best way to get back at an ex for dumping you is to keep your dignity. When they break the news to you, remain calm and never create a scene. Walk away with your head high. Usually when they dump you, the last thing they remember is the scene you created (crying, begging, violence stalking,...

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search