Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riveramax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 02:03 PM
    Lennox ac shuts down intermentantly
    I have a Lennox system that is four years old. Recently, after a pwr outage, both of my thermostats have had the pwr light go out and the system does not work, except for the blower continuously running. The weird part is if I leave it alone after a few hours the system starts working again, and the pwr lights are on. This has been going on for a week and the system will run for a day and stop and than start again. The AC guy came out one day and he could not find any thing wrong with the system, freon was OK and all the electrical voltages were normal. He suspects a circuit board in the furnace but is not sure without replaceing the $167 part, which I buy weather it fixes the problem or not. Any ideals?

Thanks for any help :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 04:20 PM
    Power outages are extremely hard on electrical equipment. I think the modern automatic switching equipment makes it even worse as it cuts off and back on several times before it goes off and stays off and another cycle when it comes back on. The outage could have messed up either the thermostats, or the furnace controls, or even the blower and compressor.

If both thermostats go out at once, I would suspect the transformer that feeds them. It may be separate from the circuit board, and much cheaper. Most HVAC systems use a 24 volt one you could pick up at a home center or even Radio shack for less than $10. Just make sure the amps output is as high or higher than the old.

I think a lighting storm killed the board in my furnace, $300+. The new one has varistors protecting it.

I also turn off or unplug stuff while the power is off, leaving a few lights to let me know. That way my refrigerator skips fighting everything else for voltage when the power comes back on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox A/C unit won't run [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm hoping to get some pointers. I noticed last week that while the fan on the inside unit was running in my house, the outside Lennox (HL26 I think) was not running at all. I usually don't try to fix this kind of stuff myself, so I called a local HVAC/Electric company to come look at...

Lennox A/C Problem [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Lennox HVAC, electric. Probably at least 25 years old. We were having a problem when using the electric heat with breakers popping off. We had the unit looked at. The repair guy said we needed a bigger breaker which we installed. The heat worked fine. When we switched to A/C the fan...

Lennox Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My old lennox thermostat has 8 letters o-g-y1-r-l-t-c-w1-.my new honeywell thermostat has 9 locations lettered rc-r-o/b-y-g-c-l-e-aux.where do i put the l wire from the old lennox thermostat?

Lennox air handler fan always on after inspection [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my HVAC system inspected by a local contractor and after he left today (friday) the air handler is constantly blowing, whether the thermostat has fan set on "auto" or "on". The hander is a Lennox CB30M-65-1P connected to a heat pump, Lennox HP26-060-9P. I also tested each system state...

Lennox home ac [ 1 Answers ]

My central heat and air is making a loud rumble when turned on. It is the inside unit, not outside the house. The lights flashing say the limit control may be open when these lights are flashing, but I am not sure what that is. I think it is the bearings, but am unable to oil, and am not very...

View more questions Search