Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ANJI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Non resident tax refund from Georgia (atlanta)
    I lived and worked in minnesota for complete 2006 fiscal year. But my employer is based out of Georgia. So he has withheld my georgia state tax for the year 2006. But in total I am 100% non resident of georgia. Never visited or worked in Georgia.

I have already filed my tax for the fiscal year 2006 and I did not paid any tax for the minnesota, but I was residing as well as worked in Minnesota.And also did not get any refund from state of georgia.
    I filed it through one of the well known tax filing company( jackson and hewitt).

But recently I came to know that I can ask for the complete 100%
    refund
    from the state of Georgia which my employer has paid for the state of Georgia.

My question is if I ask for the complete 100% refund from state of Georgia which my employer has already paid,do I need to pay any state tax for minnesota.
    And also do I need to file a ammended `tax return for the state of Minnesota??

Please let me know about this.

Thanks
    Anji
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 10:49 PM
    Anji:

I believe I have already answered this question.

You should get a refund from Georgia, but you will have to file a Minnesota tax return and pay Minnesota state income tax because you earned the money in Minnesota.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Define full-time resident for Georgia. [ 3 Answers ]

How does the Georgia tax code define a full-time resident? I am a travel R.N. and spent a majority of my time outside of Georgia. Do I have to pay state income taxes for Georgia? THANKS for any input! David

Do I need a license to become a Talent Agent in Fulton County Georgia (Atlanta)? [ 2 Answers ]

If so, where do I go to get it, what are the requirements, and how much does it cost? What are the specific functions of a Talent Agent? I know what they do, but I have not a clue of how.

Full-Time Resident of Georgia? [ 1 Answers ]

Forgot to mention this before I sent out my email concerning residency. We moved to TN in May,2006 but did not sell our house in Georgia until September 2006. My son is a full-time student in Georgia and resides there, but is still listed as a dependent on our taxes (he does not work). How do we...

Non Resident tax refund for Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

I am residing in Minnesota.. never worked or went to state of Georgia.n total I am 100% non resident for the state of Georgia. But my employer for whom I work is in georgie.He has paid all my state tax to Georgia. But I came to know that even if my employer is from Georgia, I can ask for the...

View more questions Search