Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    byang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 11:18 PM
    Thermostat Wiring Connection Conundrum - HELP!!
    I purchased a Ritetemp Thermostat model #8035c. The HVAC system installed in my condo is forced air furnace heat/electric compressor cooling and was manufactured by Gaffers & Sattlers (circa 1973).

Any guidance on how to connect the wires to the thermostat is greatly appreciated.

There are four wires encased in PVC jacket.
    1 Red
    1 White
    1 Yellow
    1 Blue

There's a separate yellow wire with 2 feeds.
    There's a separate brown wire, but capped and taped off.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Does the thermostat have terminals marked Y, G, W, and R or RC? Would you believe it is as simple as connecting the yellow wire to the Y terminal, the red to the R, jumpering it to an RC if any, etc. If the thermostat doesn't have those standard markings, you will need to study any instructions that came with it or check with the manufacturer for which terminals do what. Then follow the conventions below.

Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat/Furnace Wiring Connection [ 1 Answers ]

Whew! It's over a 100 degrees in this house. My blower will turn on but the outside compressor will not. I notice that I now have a loose yellow wire inside the Goodman furnace. This yellow wire comes from the Y terminal on the thermostat. It must be related to my problem, but I don't know...

Please Help!-thermostat wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have 5 wires coming out of the wall: blue, yellow, red, white, and green. My thermostat only has 2 wires: red and black. How do I wire them to make my Central Air work?

HELP! Thermostat Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought an older house and are in the process of replacing 1960's wood paneling with drywall. The thermostat had been "painted" onto the paneling (many times over). After I removed the screws, I had to pry the t'stat away from the wall, which caused the wires to become dislodged from their...

'C' connection for remote control thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased a RiteTemp 8082C Programmable Thermostat with remote control to replace my old mercury swtich type thermostat. While preparing to install the new one, I noticed in the instructions that all of the connections map correctly to my existing setup except one. The instructions say...

Thermostat wiring help [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new thermostat. The old one just controlled heat, and my idiot brother-in-law (who works for trane btw) somehow rigged it to work the heat and air. The wiring for the heat was pretty self explanitory, but the wires to the air are not labeled and I have no idea which is which. Can...

View more questions Search