Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hemantkkumar Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 03:21 AM
    Why in single phase only?
    Why capacitor used in single phase only?
    danar Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2007, 08:39 AM
    It can be also used in three phase system, to correct the power factor of the three pahse distribution system..
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Many single phase motors use a capacitor for starting. I don't remember just why. Back a while ago, tkrussel posted a link to a very exacting explanation in the E&L forum. The search feature works well here, if you can come up with the right key words, you may find it.

I am going to suggest moving this to E&L where he may see it and remember the link to post again.

3 phase power factor capacitors are an entirely different matter. 3 phase motors run fine without them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors [ 4 Answers ]

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors

Three phase vs. Single phase [ 3 Answers ]

What benefits would you have running a three phase service as opposed to running single phase.

3 Phase vs. Single Phase [ 8 Answers ]

I am struggling with the difference between 3-phase and single phase and the advantages/disadvantages to both. Could someone help me with this, or point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

3 phase vs single phase [ 3 Answers ]

Which will use less electricity: a commercial 5 ton 3 phase 13 SEER unit or a 5 ton single phase residential 20+ SEER unit? I am trying to figure out what type unit to put in our restaurant bar.

Single phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

A washing machine is driven by a single phase fractional motor. What makes it run reverse foreword?

View more questions Search