Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harveymasons Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 04:09 PM
    Question on 12 gauge w/ 15 amp breaker
    Hello,

Glad to have found this place.

Just had a question regarding 12 gauge wiring. While I know it is unsafe to use 15 gauge for a 20 amp breaker, are there any safety concerns using 12 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit breaker? Reason I ask is I had recessed lights put in my basement and had 12 gauge wiring laying around and was told it was safe to use.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
    Harvey
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 24, 2005, 05:39 PM
    Harvey,
    Generally speaking for copper wiring, 14guage (AWG) ia rated at 15A, 12AVG is 20A, and 10G is 20A. No problem with the current rating... Make sure you have a way to dissapate the heat from the recessed lights, especically if you are using a high wattage bulbs or halogen derivative..

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by harveymasons
    hello,

Glad to have found this place.

Just had a question regarding 12 gauge wiring. While I know it is unsafe to use 15 gauge for a 20 amp breaker, are there any saftey concerns using 12 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit breaker?? Reason I ask is I had recessed lights put in my basement and had 12 gauge wiring laying around and was told it was safe to use.

your help is greatly appreciated,

regards,
    harvey
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2005, 05:47 PM
    No problem. I added a bunch of circuits with 20 amp breakers and #10 wire. I came by a coil of it for free. A little harder to work with. Doubly so when I kept deciding to run one more length through the hole I drilled between the breaker box in the garage and my crawl space.

Sticking with the 15 amp breaker will give more protection to a less then 15 amp load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 gauge or 14 gauge? [ 6 Answers ]

This may seem like a relatively simple question, but I wanted to get a professionals verification. I have always heard that if you have 15 amp breakers you are to use 14 gauge wire and if you have 20 amp breakers you are to use 12 gauge wire. Is this always the case and are there exceptions to this...

Breaker question? [ 6 Answers ]

How is everyone one doing? I am new to this site seems like there a lot of good information on hear. So I own my home. I was just curious is per say I have three 15amp breakers, Can I just swap those 15amp breakers with 20 amp breakers or do I have do do some wiring. Hence need an electrician? ...

Breaker Box Question [ 5 Answers ]

I guess it would be better to call it a fuse box... not breaker. I live in a rather old house with k&t wiring. Our box, located in the basement, has all the wiring come in from the top. At the top of the front panel there are two black pull-out things that have markings saying main and off. They...

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

View more questions Search