Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baberaham45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Puppy peeing in sleep
    I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem with their puppy. My 12 week choco lab is peeing in her sleep. We took her to the vet because she was peeing so often even if we just took her out to pee. We noticed that a few times she had peed while she was sleeping (during the day). She does have an infection and is on medication. She has now stop peeing in the house but is peeing in her sleep almost every time she has a nap during the day.
    The vet said to take her back after she is done her medication if it has not gotten better but I am still very worried at this point it seems to have gotten worse not better
    Any suggestions would be great
    Thanks
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Don't worry she is just a baby. She probably needs to strengthen her little PC muscles. This comes with age. Good luck with your pup
    cavitywall Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by baberaham45
    i am wondering if anyone has had the same problem with their puppy. my 12 week choco lab is peeing in her sleep. we took her to the vet because she was peeing so often even if we just took her out to pee. we noticed that a few times she had peed while she was sleeping (during the day). She does have an infection and is on medication. She has now stop peeing in the house but is peeing in her sleep almost everytime she has a nap during the day.
    the vet said to take her back after she is done her medication if it has not gotten better but I am still very worried at this point it seems to have gotten worse not better
    any suggestions would be great
    thanks
    12 weeks is so young and coupled with being on medication compounds her anxiety. With dogs, love cures all. They are so empathetic that your worry may be affecting her. Give as much love and positive reinforcement as possible. Try to avoid thinking or conveying any negative vibes at all.
    I'm glad you're concerned. We humans mostly don't qualify for the wonderful companionship of dogs. Your dog becomes an extension of your own soul.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 12:41 PM
    A healthy 12 week old shouldn't be having many accidents. Most of them should be the result of leaving her in the crate too long in the day time or not being quick enough when she goes to the door. Most puppies will wake you up if they need to go out over night. If you haven't had her too long, you may both need a little more time to catch on. You should find the material in the sticky helpful, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Keep in touch with the vet. Usually antibiotics knock a UTI down fairly quickly. You really won't get very far on housebreaking until it clears up.
    baberaham45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Thanks everyone for the possitive comments.

As far as the cate training she doesn't pee in her crate and wakes up in the night to let me know she needs out. I don't put her in the crate to sleep during the day she just sleeps where ever she can cool off.

It is my first puppy so I am just might be overly concern. The infection did start to clear up right away so I am happy for that. I amalso wondering if part of the peeing might be due to the heat during the day because she really gets into these DEEP sleeps and I could play football with her and she wouldn't wake up...

My vet mentioned giving her hormones if she doesn't stop peeing in her sleep but I am not to excited about that idea at all. I feel as though she is too young and still growing way too much to have hormones shot into her little body.

Again thanks
    ChocolateSophie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 08:15 PM
    My 11 Week old Chocolate lab also had a bladder infection. She was given a two week antibiotic shot and it cleared up right away. She still at times when in a deep sleep will pee a little. House training is getting better but having the bladder infection did cause her house training to take a lot longer. Cranberry Juice is very good specially if your little girl had the bladder infection so early in life. Give her one tablespoon three times a day. Make ice cubes they think they are treats.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 11:01 PM

It's a pity this thread is so old because the solution is Propalin.
    My poodle is on this drug and has had no more accidents.

Younger pups may need hormone therapy but usually it is caused by a weak muscle in the bladder, the drugs help strengthen that muscle.

... Thread closed...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 month old puppy peeing problem [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. My 8 month old lab mix puppy pees in her sleep, in her kennel, and sometimes just goes on the floor. She is somewhat house trained, i.e. she goes out side when I let her out. She drinks a ton of water too, which I tend to ration to her now. Had a urine test done which looked OK. Vet is...

Senior dog peeing in her sleep. [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 14 year old Aussie mix, who a couple months ago peed in her sleep, we thought nothing of it because we had been up pretty late and forgot to let her out. Then a month had past and she peed in her sleep again. She feels completely horrible about it when she wakes up and realizes what she...

Peeing in sleep [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old puppy that has started to pee in her sleep. She has a problem with peeing when she gets excited when she has not been out recently, but other than that she is potty trained and has few accidents. It began a few weeks ago when she had a few accidents a couple of day apart and...

Five month old puppy peeing problems [ 2 Answers ]

My five month old black lab puppy is having a difficult time with peeing in the house. I think that she might not be going completely when she does go outside. I do have another year old chocolate lab, and think she might be getting distracted. Help! She doesn't go in her crate, but she'll go...

Crazy little Peeing Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

First and foremost, I love my dog, but I'm just not doing the right thing. He's a 4 month old beagle mix. For the longest time, he was peeing and pooing on his peewee pad, and then out of nowhere just began going all over the place. We (my fiancé and I) want to walk him, but our vet...

View more questions Search