Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barbrainey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Repiping my house
    I need to repipe my Central Florida home. I have one plumber swearing by PEX pipe and another by CPVC. Which is better and why?
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 19, 2007, 03:38 PM
    I'm NOT a plumber, and not an expert... but I've worked on my own house with a lot of different stuff.

If it were me, I would use either PEX or copper. I wouldn't use CPVC.

That's not because CPVC isn't good or strong or anything like that (CPVC is the same as regualr PVC, just made to the same sizes as standard copper pipe, I believe).

The really big advantage of PEX is that it's flexible, and installed in a "manifold and home-run" configuration. This means it can be really easy to install, can sometimes be "fished" through walls without the need to open them up, and because the home-run often means that the hot-water gets there faster (can use smaller pipe to the fixture).

Because it's flexible, there's fewer joints and fittings too. The crimper is easy to use, and a go/no-go gauge will make sure the joints are good. PEX got a bad reputation with some people when it was new, and if I was buying an 80's house with original PEX I would budget replacing it all... but these days almost all codes allow it, and there seem to be few problems.

CPVC... there's no problem using this, but since it's exactly the same as copper in terms of needing joints and fittings etc, I would just use the copper. The materials are a little more expensive, and sweat soldering is a tiny bit more difficult than glueing/solvent welding (though in my limited experience, it's easier to get a glued joint that *looks* fine but is not really than with soldering. A messed up solder joint looks messed up usually) but overall it's worth it to go with the better material.

After all, you only want to do this once, right?

I would think a large part of your decision would be based on what's there already. What is it you're replacing?

~aaron

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbrainey
    I need to repipe my Central Florida home. I have one plumber swearing by PEX pipe and another by CPVC. Which is better and why?
    For the record, I'm not a big fan of CPVC -- But that has more to do with too many Plumbers and Homeowners failing to follow the required, stringent installation guidelines than it does the product itself.

CPVC moves and expands a great deal, particularly on the hot side of the system, as a result, the manufacturers recommend that expansion loops be installed and that the piping not be strapped too tightly.

I've done a number of TI (Tenant Improvement) repipe jobs over the years where the CPVC piping had sheared off at the plate line because the original installer had used plastic insulators where the piping passed through the upper and lower plates of the walls.

The plastic insulators had locked the piping into place and not allowed it to expand and contract -- Plastic or metal two hole pipe straps or suspension clamps can lead to the same shearing problems if fastened too tightly.

With CPVC, there is a fine line between restrictive strapping and not enough strapping; Restrictive strapping can cause shear damage -- And inadequate strapping can cause an irritating 'rustling' sound in the walls, ceilings and floors where the piping is installed.

As for PEX, there are too many manufactures of the material for me to make a blanket statement recommending it's use.

To date, I would not recommend Zurn Pex or any other PEX piping that relies on a crimped band to join the fittings.

OTOH, I highly recommend Wirsbo/Uponor's Pro-Pex system and have used it exclusively for over five years without any problems or complaints.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 06:51 PM
    From a home owners standpoint, I would go with CPVC and usually PVC on the cold. If you ever want to make a few minor changes, even replace a faucet, almost anybody capable of reading the directions on the can of cement can work with it. Since I haven't worked with it, I will take aaron's word that a DIY can do reliable work with PEX, but part of the reason I never worked with it is because I never had a job big enough to make buying a crimper worth while. Besides, I have had good luck with CPVC and PVC.

What you might do is check references for both, and go with the guy with the happiest clients.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I like Pex but have found one about six years ago that I like better, it is called pex-al-pex, it is three layers of material and used almost the same way as Pex. Look around on the internet and you can find all of the specs.
    swhammonds Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 04:51 AM

I need to have my home repiped. Can I relocate where my plumbing manifold and water heater is installed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A cat moving from house to house [ 1 Answers ]

My parents are divorced and I want a cat. Most cats don't like moving but they would be moving to a different house every week. They wouldn't stay at the same house. What cat should I get?

Could ghosts jump from house to house? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to purchase a lot and build a new house. I "googled" the name of the road where the lot is to and 10 web links came up for that road being one of the most haunted places in CT. It reads that there is a "white lady" that is in one of the houses on the road. She is not a mean...

Copper Repiping, Noise reduction [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just about finished repiping with copper. Pipe runs in attic and down walls. There seems to be a choice in strapping approaches and insulation. What's the best way to keep npoise to a minimum. Thx

Repiping question [ 1 Answers ]

Have slab leak. Am laying out repiping plan. Is there a standard method for crossing electrical in the attic? In a wall? Can I run the pipes on the ceiling joists? Or do they need to be hung/attached some distance above them? Thanks

View more questions Search