Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 12:13 AM
    30 day time limit under Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
    I was told that under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) a debtor has 30 days to request validation of a debt after receiving notice from a collection agency that they owe a debt. Is the collection agency under any legal obligation to provide validation if the debtor requests it after the 30 day time frame has expired?

I have a situation where AFNI collection agency recently placed 3 old Verizon accounts on my credit report. The accounts do not belong to me, and I need to get them off my credit report ASAP. I called AFNI and they stated they sent a letter to me in March 2007. However, they sent the letter to my old address, so I never received written notice of these collections. I recently found out the hard way when I pulled a copy of my credit report. I told AFNI that they sent the letter to the wrong address. AFNI stated that my 30 day time to request validation has expired because they never received the letter back stating that I no longer lived there (ie. "returned to sender"). This sounds completely bogus to me, but is there any truth to what they have told me?

If I have lost my right to request validation, what should I do next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2007, 06:44 AM
    What you need to do is contact the credit bureau(s) where the notations were made and tell them you are disputing these charges as being yours. Request that they remove them. They will contact the creditor and request they prove them. If they are not removed, you can then sue AFNI for a false report.

While they may not have to provide you with the verification on your request, they will if you sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fair Housing Act [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for a landlord to charge me double the amount of the usual deposit because I had little rental history?

Fair Labor Standards Act [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have a choice not to accept the change from an exempt employee to a non-exempt?

KY, collection agency practices [ 12 Answers ]

Last year, I was contacted by a lawyer I have never heard of in the next town about a few small old bills that didn't get paid, threatening to get a judgement. Total of around $1200. I wrote him back and said that I did not dispute the bills, and that I would pay $150 per month until they were...

Fair Debt Collection practices? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I had a summons served to me from a debt collector. I answered it at the court and feel confident about that part. I filed 2 things with the court. One, being an answer to the summons and two being the letter that I sent the debt collector after receiving the summons asking them to...

View more questions Search