Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Can 3rd party collection agency lawfully collect debt w/o a contract.
    I'm going back and forth with a 3rd party collection agency and was wondering if a 3rd party collection agency can lawfully collect a debt if there is no contract between the collection agency and the original creditor that expressly transfers the legal right to collect this debt to the collection agency.

In other words... if a person had a contract with company A (original creditor); and company A sells the account to company B (3rd party collection agency); can company B lawfully collect this debt if there is no contract between company B and company A? [Also, assuming, there is no contract between company B (collection agency) and the person who owes the debt (debtor)].

If the answer is that they can lawfully collect the debt, even if there is no contract between the collection agency and original creditor or debtor; what gives them the legal authority to do so?

Thanks in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
    If company A SELLS the debt to company B there is a contract, the sells agreement, and company B now owns the original contract between the debtor and the orgianal company.

It is where a collection agency only works on behalf of company A but does not buy the loan, where there has to be a formal agreement.

Once the debt is bought, it is thiers to collect since they own it.
    dehammer77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
    We are in the same boat. We rented a 'storage unit' to move. We used the unit for some time but paid in advance. We didn't receive a statement for sometime so my husband went to the location where it was rented from and the new owner had not heard of us nor the unit we had used. We tried to call the business before my husband went to the location and after we tried to call the old owners (finding the number in the phone book). With no luck we didn't know what to do.

We waited and nothing. One day months down the road I got an email from the 'new owner' stating we owed him a large sum of money. I told him that we didn't know who the unit belonged to for a long time. I asked about purchasing it as we had used and paid the other owners up to date. He said we could prurchase it but we still owe the 'large sum' of money.

We didn't have any agreement written absolutely nothing with the 1st owners we paid and we used, when we were finished using it we tried to return the unit.

We now have a 3rd party collector after us for the amount due... what do I do? It sat empty on our property for a few months, also we had some damaged to our belongings.

The new owner also came onto our property when there was a no Tresspassing Sign...

Please Help! Need advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3rd Party Staffing Agency Worth While? [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in a professional opinion regarding the third party staffing agency that has a few jobs that they are looking to fill for companies, and then finding individuals with resumes to fill them. I have been to a temp agency before and found a job, but want to know if it is worth while to...

Two collection agency trying to collect on one account [ 2 Answers ]

We are in consumer counseling and making our payments in a timely manner, but are still being harassed by one creditor that is not making any sense. This one collection agency keeps calling to collect on a debt, but there is also another collection agency doing the same thing on the same account. ...

Collection Agency license to collect in my state? [ 1 Answers ]

I sent a letter to a collection to give me information the verify's they are license to operate in my state (Florida) they have not responded. How do I find out if a collection agency is license to collect in my state :confused: :confused:

3rd Party Legal Entitlement on Unsecured Debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Even though this is my first post on AskMeHelpDesk, I have frequented the site on a semi-regular basis. Generally, my questions are already answered. But, I think I have a problem with this one. :confused: I have an Unsecured Debt, (Credit Card), that was charged off and sold to a...

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

View more questions Search