Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leaannkaufman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
    New hardwood flooring popping
    I had new hardwood flooring installed in my kitchen and foyer 3 weeks ago. One week after installation I am hearing popping sounds in places when I walk. Is this normal? The floor is level and no boards seem to be loose. I just wondered if the flooring has to settle.
    The floor was laid over the existing wood subfloor but it appeared to be properly prepared.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
    In time you will have some squiks, but not right away you shouldn't,
    To me it sounds like there wasn't enough nails put in, also some of the joints may be to tight around door jambs,
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Is this hardwood floor or is it a laminate floor covering?

Jul 20, 2007, 06:13 PM
    This is 3/4 inch hardwood flooring. I know it seems strange but it seems to become a lot less noticeable when it rains?
    carpenter ant Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by leaannkaufman
    I had new hardwood flooring installed in my kitchen and foyer 3 weeks ago. One week after installation I am hearing popping sounds in places when I walk. Is this normal? The floor is level and no boards seem to be loose. I just wondered if the flooring has to settle.
    The floor was laid over the existing wood subfloor but it appeared to be properly prepared.
    It is not normal for the flooring to creak or popo or make any other noises... unfortunately the noises can be from a variety of causes.most stemming from poor installation technique... call the installer and have them look at it for you..
    No the flooring doesn't have to settle.before they installed it,did they let the hardwood acclimate to your house before it was put down?. was a moisture content test done on your subfloor?

Jul 22, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I really do not know if a moisture content test was done. The wood was in my house 3 days before it was put down. If there were not enough nails put in, would the entire floor have to be taken up and re-installed?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 23, 2007, 03:31 PM
    I Asked One Of My Flooring Installers , Besides Myself That Is And He Said It Sounded Like The Floor Was Not Nailed Up Tight Enough,
    mike08201 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leaannkaufman
    This is 3/4 inch hardwood flooring. I know it seems strange but it seems to become alot less noticeable when it rains?

The wood swells tight in the extra moisture.

What size plank did they put down? Anything over 3" is recommended to use a flooring (construction) adhesive also. Plus gap every approx 4th board for expansion. 1/32 inch. -ish

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood Floors [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone here has installed a Hardwood Floor over concrete ? I have done them over wood, but never over concrete and I am looking for any inout/experience on this matter. Thanks

Hardwood Floors [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have carpet installed in all of my rooms except the kitchen. I know that we have hardwood floors under the carpet. I would like to convert to hardwood floors. Could you tell me the procedure for sanding and refinishing hardwood floors? In addition, an area of my den floor is warped...

Hardwood floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking up carpet form old hardwood floor and going to put new hardwood floor next to the old, there is about 1/2 inch difference in height what kind of transition do I need between the old and new.

Thickness of Hardwood Flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use Bellawood on my kitchen floor when I remodel it. I'm going to scrape up all the old tile down to the subfloor which is plywood. I was originally looking at 3/4" wood flooring, but this morning I recieved an Email from Lumber Liquidators (Same place I plan on buying anyway) stating...

Hardwood flooring glue on sheetrock [ 1 Answers ]

We just had hardwood floors installed, and some of the glue got on our door jams and sheetrock. Do you have any suggestions for getting it off the sheetrock. We have started scraping it off the door jams, and will probably sand them and repaint, but I'm not sure what to do with the sheetrock. ...

View more questions Search