Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konettet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Preparing Cedar Shakes For Painting
    I have cedar shingles/shakes for siding that I am preparing to re-paint. The existing paint job is old and pealing heavily in some spots. I already know that I will be replacing some of the shingles, as some are already gone or are in the process of falling off.

I was thinking of pressure washing the shingles to get the pealing paint removed quickly, but from what I've been reading, people seem to be warning against DIY pressure washing cedar shingles or even pressure washing cedar shingles at all.

Is this true? Also, what is the best way for me to prep this sort of a job if it is NOT pressure washing?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)
    canadianhotbox Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2007, 12:49 AM
    It will depend on what you really have on the walls. I'm thinking that you have cedar shingles not shakes {shingles are cut out with a saw shakes are split off and are mostly used for the roof}One of the best things you can do is get a good paint scrapper and a heat gun and giver. It is a lot of work but, just keep at it, good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protein shakes [ 2 Answers ]

I work long hours and most times do not get enough time to eat a healthy meal (I started to work out). I read in a magazine that one can mix milk, eggs, and banana, put them in thermos and take it to work. It can be consumed even 4 - 5 hours later. Is this true? And the milk needs to be cold, warm...

Cedar Shakes [ 2 Answers ]

Our cedar shakes have been painted with regular exterior paint and it is time to repaint. What paint is best?

Cedar siding painting [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know that the cedar siding should be primed and painted before installation on both sides or primed and painted after installation just on exterior side ( only one side that is exposed to weather). Thanks

How to Prep & Paint Cedar Shakes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into our house last summer and need to paint it this year. It has cedar shakes which are in very good shape. Lots of peeling on everything other than the shakes though. Can anyone offer advice on how to prep and paint cedar shakes? For example, do I need to scrape, prime, then...

Monitor screen shakes [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone help me. My monitor sits about 2 or 3 feet from the main eletrical box in the house. When anything turns on in the house, such as a dishwasher, furnace.. etc, the screen starts to shake. I do have a second computer which sits about 7 feet from the box and that screen does not shake. I...

View more questions Search