Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thwack25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Renters rights with fire damage
    Hello,

I just moved into a ground floor apartment 9 days ago. The apartment directly above me has recently had a large fire. The entire apartment has been boarded up due to smoke damage. Soot from upstairs has covered my apartment and my family, which includes 2 children with asthma and an infant, is breathing in the soot. The a/c filter is black.

What should we do and what is the landlord required to do for me? I am located in Goodlettsville Tennessee. Please help!

Thank you,

thwack25
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 12, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Contact the landlord as soon as possible he might put you up in a hotel or different apartment till he gets it cleaned up. If the landlord doesn't resolve the issue. You should be able to contact county services. They most likely will come and inspect the property and fine the landlord and give him instructions on what he needs to do the make things right.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 12, 2007, 10:44 PM
    In landlord tenant law, there is the rule of implied warranty of habitability. If you tell the landlord that your apartment is uninhabitable because you can't breathe, he is required by law to give you a place that is habitable if there is an available apartment, or, if none, he must either give you back your deposit so you can find a habitable place or put you in a hotel.

If your landlord does not respond, most states have a Real Estate Commissioner's office that is set up to deal with complaints.

All states have some variation of a Landlord-Tenant Act which sets out the rights of landlords and tenants. Unfortunately for the tenant, to make the landlord comply, sometimes the only thing you can do is take them to court. Most landlords know that renters don't have the finances to hire a lawyer, so they step all over you. However, small claims court doesn't require a lawyer to help (although it is a good idea) and many of the small claims court clerks will even help you fill out a complaint.

I would recommend googling implied warranty of habitability and reading up on that before you talk to your landlord. Just be careful to make the conversation really pleasant the first time and save the information for after he says no. Always give them the chance to handle the situation before saying you'll complain or sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire propert damage [ 9 Answers ]

I've recently had a garage fire and it was determined not arson and accidental. Not actual determination of the cause. I've lost quite a bit of property in this fire and didn't have rental insurance- ignorant me- never thought about it... nevertheless, in my rental contract nothing is indicated...

Fire damage [ 3 Answers ]

By Massachusetts state law, can the landlord charge the tenant for fire damage?

Fire Damage to House [ 5 Answers ]

An apartment building housing 3 families caught on fire next door to a house that I own and collapsed and burned to the ground. According to the final fire report, the cause of the fire cannot be determined. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. The owner of...

Renters rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am Tizzy from Missouri, what can I do if my landlord has sold my place right after I moved in and the soon to be new owner called me today and said I have until Friday to get out?

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

View more questions Search