Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wwtp64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Maytag plus refrigerator
    I am having trouble with my Maytag plus model # MTB2156GE. It has not been able to keep the temps up in the freezer or frig sections. I spoke to a service tech and I assumed it was a compressor or leaking coolant problem. He said it is more likely that the defrost unit is going out and he said it is a common problem with this Maytag brand. Has anyone else had this problem with the defrost unit going out? If so is it something a do it yourselfer could replace? Thanks
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 08:24 AM
    He could be right.Easy to check. Look at the defrost heater. Is it on constantly? Turn defrost timer throgh cycle slowly. Doe it intiate and terminate cycle? I would also clean condensing motor and coils very well. If they are dirty they cannot disapate heat and therefore both freezer and ref will run warm
    tvt0588 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
    I have a Maytag fridge ,too many problems; I changed the defrost timer unit two times ( not cold, look at the freezer side ,you can see if you remove the back panel the frost covers all the coil)
    Now,another problem : not cold ,compressor is heat up ; I turn off and clean the coil wait for one hour
    Plug in again but stiil not cold ,compressor did not start like it should run...
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2012, 12:43 PM
    You want to check both fans: the evaporator fan in freezer and the condenser fan under refrigerator. Also, check your defrost timer. It is a box with a lot of wires going to it and a one-way plastic screw slot on the front. It can be under the refrigerator or inside next to t-stat. Look around and you will find it. Many times they are on the front bottom of the refrigerator behind the kick plate. Turn it and when it clicks everything will turn off and the defrost heater inside freezer should come on. Wait and see. After a while you should be able to hear it and see steam rising. If nothing happens and refrigerator comes back on you most likely have a problem with the defrost heater. If refrigerator does not come back on in 15-20 minutes then your defrost timer is bad and you need to unplug the timer and get one that matches. Unplug refrigerator first. Otherwise, follow these instructions: If it is a normal type it has a defrost timer which turns off the fan in freezer and the compressor and energizes the defrost heater until the terminator t-stat turns it off or the timer turns it off, whichever one is first. It's a very straightforward system that is easy to work on. The electronic ones are totally different, but normally when they go bad only the heater and terminator needs to be replaced. Just remove the cover to coils in freezer to access heater and terminator. Don't forget to clean the coils under unit, too. Many times the timer is under the unit near the coils or near the t-stat in the refrigerator section. Let unit thoroughly defrost before working on it. After removing the cover to coils you will see wires leading to a heater attached to the coils. On a side-by-side the heater is a glass rod with an element inside that you can see if it is bad; on a freezer on top model it is aluminum and wrapped around the coil that will burn apart often. There is a defrost t-stat attached by wire to one side of the heater and clipped onto the coils. It is round and has two wires, one to the heater and one to the power from defrost timer. With refrigerator unplugged turn timer until you hear it click and stop. Have wires unplugged to defrost heater and defrost t-stat and get the plug and the wire supplying power to heater. Put meter on ohms and put one lead on wire supplying power to heater and one to power cord plug prong and if timer is good you will read about zero on either terminal supplying power to heater . Then put one lead on each side of heater and if you have no continuity you need a new heater. Replace heater and terminator together and be very careful when replacing it, especially on the freezer on top model because if you bend the wrong thing you will break one of the delicate capillary tubes and lose all of the Freon which will ruin the unit. DrTom4444
    eddechant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
    My son is looking to buy a used Maytag Plus side by side refrigerator. The doors are uneven, that is the frig side is bigger at the top and smaller at the bottom and the freezer side is the reverse. I have never seen a frig like this. I am wondering how old it is. Could someone tell me the year this frig was made?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2012, 06:31 AM
    No one can give you a date from the brand name. Look at this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/App...ate_Finder.pdf Uneven doors can be straightened out by loosening screws at top and adjusting doors. Many units made before 1990 with R-12 in them are better and more efficient Freon - 12 in it rather than the "new" R-134a which is very much inferior. Write your congressman to get this tax on Freons repealed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Refrigerator [ 15 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a new maytag refrigerator (2005) model PBB1951HEW which makes a very loud knock/pop even when the compressor isn't working. It's so loud that it wakes me up during the night. It's as if somebody is throwing stones at it:D... very strange and annoying.:confused: Any...

Maytag performa refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

I have a maytag performa model PSD264LGRW and the water line is leaking. Is there a way to turn off the water flow to the refrigerator without shutting off the main water valve? Thanks.

Problems with Maytag refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have Maytag side by side refrigerator which is forming ice. We have had the heater and there thermostate changed but the problem is still there. We have called the technician twice alredy and he can't figure it out. Once the ice start forming in the forzen side the refrigeratior start...

Maytag Refrigerator Lights Have Gone Out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Plus Refrigerator, Model MTF2456AE and lights have gone out in freezer and refrigerator. I have replaced all the bulbs and still no luck. Can I fix myself? Is there a fuse that might have gone out? Do I need to call a repairman? :confused:

My Maytag Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

I Have An 8 Month Old Side By Side, The Door To The Freezer Was Left Open All Day On Accident, Barely Cracked Open,when I Got Home It Was Wet Inside.it Was Making A Clicking Sound Every 15 Minutes And Not Cooling. I Threw All Food Away. Turned Refrig Off. Waited 24hours And Turned It Back On And...

View more questions Search