Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelseyg123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Adding a motion sensor to 3 way outdoor flood lights
    First, thanks in advance for your time.

I have two 3-way switches in my home at opposite ends of the house that control two different flood lights outside on the same circuit. I bought and hooked up a motion sensor to one of the floods thinking that when it is triggered it will turn both sets of floods on and off. Not the case. Only the one connected to the motion sensor comes on and turns off. How can I get both sets of floods to turn on with on motion sensor?

Thanks again.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I'm not an expert in electrical, but I know this is where it gets tricky:
    The motion sensor you've installed is, most likely at the light that works the way you want it to. You need to have a different sensor "hard-wired" in to both lamp's circuits to have them both work from a one-sensor switch.
    You should contact a local licensed electrician, or two, and ask for references. Take your time.
    You may get some insight from a LOWES/HOMEDEPOT type store. Good luck!
    RHTaylor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
    If your 3-way switches work two different set of floodlights you need to get a motion sensor that can run parralled. One of the flood light boxes has two set of black, white and ground wires and the other should just have one set. With the switch off, disconnect the two black wires and separate them making sure they are not in contact with ground. Turn the switch on and determine which is the "live" or "line" wire. Once you have determined that, turn the switch back off and wire the black from the motion sensor to the "live" wire and wire the flood light at that location and the other black wire (load to the other fixture) to the red wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay outdoor flood light (motion/optical) [ 1 Answers ]

My HB flood lights stopped working recently, but if I turn the unit to "test", wave my hand in front of the sensor, the lights pop on. Turning it back to 1,5, or 10 minute timer delay does not work, even in the dark. Faulty opical sensor? Would that prevent the unit from operating in timer mode?

Wire a motion detector to flood lights [ 1 Answers ]

I need help to wire a motion detector to my outside flood lights that can be turned on from Three locations.

N:vision flood lights- use in or out? [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a whole bunch of n:vision 65 watt "high quality flood" lights, still in their packages. I don't have much use for them in my house, but I could sure use them for my yard lights. How can one tell if they are suitable for outside use?

Can I disable motion sensor on outdoor lights? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased new wall mount outdoor lights. They are motion sensor. I was told they would have the option to turn off the motion sensor. There is not a "switch" for that capability. Is there a way I can wire it to disable that function?

Adding an independent motion sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to upgrade my existing exterior lighting to include an independent motion seņor and addition lighting fixture in the car port. Existing power fed through a single pole switch inside the house to an exterior light fixture next to the front entrance (2 wire grounded). I would like to...

View more questions Search