Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Mom's Surgery
    Tomorrow my mom is going into surgery to have some of her intestines removed. She has to have 3 inches of small intestine removed, plus some of the large intestine. There is nothing wrong with the large intestine, but the doctor recommended it, I can't remember why. I'm cannot remember the exact reason she is having this surgery but I know it is because of her Crohn's Disease. How risky is this surgery? Is it life threatening? And what are her risks during recovery? Someone told me if the stitches inside of her pop, she could die. Is that true? Thanks :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Hun, any surgery that includes general anesthesia (putting the patient to sleep) is risky. Any surgery is life threatening. However, the risks are lower this day in age.

What you need to do is talk to her doctor prior to the surgery to get all of your questions answered. There are many risks during recovery, but a lot depend on her health prior to the surgery, such as is she a smoker, is she overweight, etc.

If the stitches inside her pop, it can be very dangerous and life threatening, but that rarely happens.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:05 PM
    I'd be more concerned without the surgery!
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Oh trust me, I am concerned :) I've never had anyone in my family have surgery like this, that's why I'm asking all those questions
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Oh trust me, I am concerned :) I've never had anyone in my family have surgery like this, thats why i'm asking all those questions
    No worries-I understand. Trust me surgery for this is better than if it is left as is!
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Oh I know. I've just heard of people dying on the operating table and stuff like that. It scares me! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 02:48 AM
    Oh, sweetie, I wouldn't worry about that. Heck I've had 17 surgeries now and I'm still kicking!!

As X says, I would be more concerned without the surgery. This sort of surgery is very common with Crohn's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom's Way Or No Way! [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can relate to me. I'm getting married in Sep my fiancé and I have been together a little over three years now. I started planning our wedding about a year ago when we officially announced our engagement. When I first started I was really happy and excited, but now I...

A funny. For mom's of teens [ 10 Answers ]

This was emailed to me... I got a good chuckle out of it! DON'T MESS WITH MOM My son came home from school one day, With a smirk upon his face. He decided he was smart enough, To put me in my place.

Looking for mom's birth family [ 1 Answers ]

MY mom was born in October 8,1956. She was given up for adoption and is looking for her birth family and is not having any luck, so I thought I would help. I know she has 6 siblings I believe all older. Her birth mothers name is luthera. Her birth last name was heekin.

Having my Mom's husband to live [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my mom's husband out of my house, he never paid rent, I pay the mortgage, my mom took care of the utilities and he was arrested for domestic assault and went to jail, when he got out of jail he broke a window to get back into the house and he has threatened my mom. My mom is...

My mom's hospital bill [ 4 Answers ]

My mom was sent to a hospital because of an accident and she died. I now get a hospital bill in her name. My friend told me that I am not responsible for it. But I don't know if it's true or not. I couldn't find anything online about this. Can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks.

View more questions Search