Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrctaz919 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Selling a car
    How do I sell my car that I still owe money. Just 800.00 but want sell to get a new auto
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Hello jr:

Take the buyer with you to the bank. Pay them, and they'll give him the title.

excon
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 6, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Depending on the state where you live, the lender may hold the car title, or you will have the title, showing the lien that must be satisfied before the title can be transferred. It would be easier if you had theb funds to pay off the lien prior to sale, otherwise, you and the buyer will have to make a trip to the lender, where his cash will pay off the lien, and the "lien release" will be obtained. You keep the remainder of the cash paid for the car, sign the title over to the buyer, have your signature notarized, and give it to him. He will then take it to MVD and have it transferred. It is also a good idea to prepare two copies of a bill of sale signed by both of you. You each keep a copy. That eliminates any chance of liability for you, in case he gets in a wreck on his way to MVD. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

Selling car to spouce [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to sell my truck to my husband. We live in North Carolina. Is there any laws against this?

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

View more questions Search