Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuckysan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Wire size for sub panel
    Hi, :)
    We are converting a garage into a guest house, with permits, and I have a few questions on the electrical side.
    I have tried to search for my questions, but need more info. Plans are to place a 100 amp sub-panel 250 feet from main panel. Will # 2 in 2 inch conduit be enough, how much voltage loss? Will it take 3 #2's and 1 #6 if size is correct? How many circuits can I have with a 100 amp panel? I plan on running an air conditioning unit and some appliances, lights and outlets from this panel. How many circuits can run off a 100 amp panel?
    Off my main panel I have an existing 60 amp breaker not in use, I need to run 20 feet of wire for a 50 amp connection for a RV, what size wire should I use?

Thanks in advance
    Chuck
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 2, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Hi,
    We are converting a garage into a guest house, with permits, and I have a few questions on the electrical side.
    Assuming this is a detached garage.

I have tried to search for my questions, but need more info. Plans are to place a 100 amp sub-panel 250 feet from main panel. Will # 2 in 2 inch conduit be enough, how much voltage loss?
    Not for that distance. I recommend 3/0 3/0 2/0 (good for 250 feet) in 2" RNC Sch 40, but you may be able to get by with 2/0 2/0 1/0 in 2" RNC sch 40. I believe the 2/0 is pushing it, but that's me. You will also want to run a #8 (Note: As of today, some jurisdictions do not require 4 conductors. Check with the authority having jurisdiction).

How many circuits can I have with a 100 amp panel? I plan on running an air conditioning unit and some appliances, lights and outlets from this panel. How many circuits can run off a 100 amp panel?
    It's the demand that matters. I recommend doing a demand load calculation before proceeding.
    Yet, a 100amp service should be able to supply up to 24 branch circuits.

Off my main panel I have an existing 60 amp breaker not in use, I need to run 20 feet of wire for a 50 amp connection for a RV, what size wire should I use?
    How do you plan to run your wire? Example: In conduit

If you plan to run the wire using NM-B, then a 6-3 will have to be used

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

125 amp sub panel 250' away wire size [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 400 amp service in my home and will be running a line to my shop with a total run of 250' to feed a sub panel 125 amp service. What wire size is the 250' run? Would a 100 amp service be the same wire size? I would like to run copper wire, is aluminum that much less expensive? Any other...

100 amp sub panel wire size [ 2 Answers ]

I now have the 100 amp breaker installed in my load panel. I will run wiring from the load panel to a 100 amp sub-panel in an unground 80 schedule PVC. I believe I need to use #2 wire for the hots and the neutral. If this is correct, then what size ground do I use? Number 6? The sub- panel...

Size of 200 amp panel box [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any smaller boxes for updating to 200 amp service than the 36" X 18" standrard box my electrician mentioned. This box would have to be installed in our master bedroom as we have no basement and the existing 100 amp box is in the closet, where he cannot legally install the new service. ...

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search