Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swedishvoice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 03:01 AM
    resident alien student, failed to file W8BEN form, how to claim treaty benefit
    Hey, I am a student from mainland China. 2006 is my sixth year in US as a PhD student and I lost my non-resident status.

I bought some stocks in 2006 and failed to file W8BEN form with the stock trading company. It turns out they withhold 28% of the transaction value.

I am using Turbo tax to file my tax return (I filed an extension for year 2006). I got really confused when using it to file my tax return. Please help me with these following questions:

1. Am I still eligible for the 5000$ treaty exemption? When I use Turbo tax, how can I claim that? My 2006 taxable scholarship is 23000$. Shall I just enter 18000$ instead?

2. I have a 1099-B form from the stock trading company. They withhold a big chunk of my transaction stock value. How can I claim it back? Can I still claim tax exemption for stock, bonds, etc? How should I do it when file my tax return? With Turbotax?

thanks a lot for your kind help! I really really appreciate it!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 08:02 AM
    1) In my opinion, you are NOT eligible for the $5,000 China treaty exemption. However, some have held that the wording of the U.S.-China treaty allows the $5,000 treaty exemption to be claimed for the duration of your stay, regardless of your residency status. If so, the way to claim it is to enter the $5,000 as a NEGATIVE number on line 21 of Form 1040 and cite the U.S.-China Tax Treaty.

2) Enter the withheld figure from the Form 1099-B on Line 63 of Form 1040. You are NOT exempt from doing the capital gains calculations on your stock transactions on Schedule D.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get professional tax help. If you want my help, contact me at the email address below.
    swedishvoice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Hey, Atlanta Tax Expert, thanks a lot for your kind response!

I would like to investigate the possibility of having professional help. But I have three questions need your inputs:

1. I am in China now and will stay for another a few months, how can I communicate with you if I need professional help.
    2. I am still a student, I am not sure how much professional help would cost.
    3. I really appreciate your response, but as for professional help, how can I protect my information such as SSN, etc.

Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 09:01 AM
    1) That is the beauty of email. This year I have prepared and filed returns electronically for clients in India, Taiwan and Germany and NEVER spoke with the person. All the communication was done via emai and, in one case, by fax.

2) Send me an email and I will give you a firm quote on my fee.

3) I use encrypted email and my computer has multiple firewalls and is password protected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Resident Alien claim China-US tax treaty benefits? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and currently studying in the states as a F1 student. This is my sixth year in the states. I just recently married to an American citizen. We filed my green card application in early June, 2007. We are expecting to adjust my status to permanent...

Tax treaty and education credits for F-1 filing as resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student from India - I came to US in 2001 and since I've been here for more than 5 years (and I pass the SPT), it seems I will have to file my taxes as a resident alien (RA) this year. Usually I copy paste my tax forms (1040NR-EZ, 8843) from previous years but I just found out about...

Fill in tax form as resident alien or non resident ? [ 7 Answers ]

I am from China and I held B1 to enter US in Jan.2001 and changed the status B1 to F1 on 12/26/2001. I returned to China and returned to USA in 2005 with a new F1 visa . I had no income in 2001 and 2002 and I failed to fill in the tax return in 2001 and 2002 since I didn't know I needed to do so ...

Tax treaty for resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - hopefully all I'll need is a 'yes!' answer for this :) I'm a UK citizen, who passes the SPT (worked in US from 10/04 through 07/06 on H1B). I'd like to claim my federal tax back using the UK-US treaty. So I file a 1040EZ and claim the treaty on that, send a W-9 to my employer, and don't...

View more questions Search