Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnosko Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2005, 07:01 PM
    Building a 1/2 Bath in an Unfinished Basement
    Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. :)

I want to build a 1/2 bath and separate utility room in my unfinished basement. The utility room will be behind the bathroom (in front of, going by the orientation of the first picture below) and hide the heat pump fan coil (air handler), water heater and a utility tub/sink. The wall in these pictures is a (pitiful) curtain put up by the prior owner, and I'll be removing it. Here are my questions.

1. Are the vertical pipes that come together vent pipes, and all the venting I will need?

2. Can I connect a closet flange to the rough-in pipe without significantly raising the floor? I'd prefer to lay tile or vinyl directly to the concrete floor (in the bathroom). The rest of the basement will have a floating floor.

3. I've never connected a closet flange, and could not find a how-to. Would someone please explain the details or point me to a how-to?

4. It seems from the measurements between these rough-ins that I should place the dividing wall between the bath and utility room right where these (assumed) vent pipes are (enclosing them). They are about 14"-15" from the center of the 4" closet pipe. Does this seem right?

5. For the other walls, is it 12" behind from the center of the closet pipe and 15" from a side wall? Are these dimensions from the finished wall or stud wall?

6. Do I use two separate Ys on the sink pipe; one for the bathroom drain and one for the utility tub/sink, giving each their own trap?

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pnosko
    Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. :)

I want to build a 1/2 bath and separate utility room in my unfinished basement. The utility room will be behind the bathroom (in front of, going by the orientation of the first picture below) and hide the heat pump fan coil (air handler), water heater and a utility tub/sink. The wall in these pictures is a (pitiful) curtain put up by the prior owner, and I'll be removing it. Here are my questions.

1. Are the vertical pipes that come together vent pipes, and all the venting I will need?

2. Can I connect a closet flange to the rough-in pipe without significantly raising the floor? I'd prefer to lay tile or vinyl directly to the concrete floor (in the bathroom). The rest of the basement will have a floating floor.

3. I've never connected a closet flange, and could not find a how-to. Would someone please explain the details or point me to a how-to?

4. It seems from the measurements between these rough-ins that I should place the dividing wall between the bath and utility room right where these (assumed) vent pipes are (enclosing them). They are about 14"-15" from the center of the 4" closet pipe. Does this seem right?

5. For the other walls, is it 12" behind from the center of the closet pipe and 15" from a side wall? Are these dimensions from the finished wall or stud wall?

6. Do I use two separate Ys on the sink pipe; one for the bathroom drain and one for the utility tub/sink, giving each their own trap?

(1) If you hadn't shown me the #2 picture I would not have realized that the right hand pipe was a vent and the left hand pipe was a revent. They should more then cover the venting needs for your bathroom group providing you tie the washer and lavatory into one of the vent pipes.
    (2) There is nothing to connecting a closet flange. I would first mud and tile the floor using a stryafoam (sp) closet wrapper around the closet stub up to leave a little space for the flange to recess into. After the tile's in just prime and glue the flange to the closet stup up.
    (3) See above.
    (4) Not having a fixture and future wall layout makes it difficult to answer.
    (5) For the toilet, 12" from the back rough wall. Depending on the tub you wish to install, (some differ) the average is 15 1/2" from the side wall plate,(rough wall).
    (6) Code dictates that each fixture shall have its own trap.

You haven't mentioned a washer. Will that be included as well?
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom

Jun 24, 2005, 09:47 AM
    My laundy room is on the 2nd floor near the bedrooms; there will be no washer down here. The 1/2 bathroom will have only a toilet and a sink.

But I want a utility tub/sink in the utility room as I will be draining various things into it (hot water heater pressure relief, condensation pump for fan coil, icemaker from kitchen above, RO filter waste). By utility tub/sink, I meant the following.

(1) I'm not sure what you mean by "tie the washer and lavatory into one of the vent pipes". I assumed that the vent (not sure what a revent is) is already tied to both the closet and sink stubs under the concrete. Will I need to cut into these vent/revent pipes at all?

(2) I've never held a closet flange in my hand. Do they glue to the inside or outside of the pipe stub? If inside, do I cut the stub flush with the floor?

(4) I'll post a diagram tonight if needed.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2005, 09:57 AM
    My laundy room is on the 2nd floor near the bedrooms; there will be no washer down here. The 1/2 bathroom will have only a toilet and a sink.

But I want a utility tub/sink in the utility room as I will be draining various things into it (hot water heater pressure relief, condensation pump for fan coil, icemaker from kitchen above, RO filter waste). By utility tub/sink, I meant the following.

(1) I'm not sure what you mean by "tie the washer and lavatory into one of the vent pipes". I assumed that the vent (not sure what a revent is) is already tied to both the closet and sink stubs under the concrete. Will I need to cut into these vent/revent pipes at all?

(2) I've never held a closet flange in my hand. Do they glue to the inside or outside of the pipe stub? If inside, do I cut the stub flush with the floor?

Post the diagram with all the details and I'll answer all the questions at one time. Tom

Jun 27, 2005, 12:38 PM
    Tom, sorry for the delay. I'm reconsidering, thinking a full bath would add more value. Is that 2" stub sufficient for plumbing a drain for a bathtub and sink in the bathroom and a utility sink un the utility room? If so, would you have a suggestion on how to plumb these drains? I suppose the tub would need to be elevated a little.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2005, 11:27 AM

Tom, sorry for the delay. I'm reconsidering, thinking a full bath would add more value. Is that 2" stub sufficient for plumbing a drain for a bathtub and sink in the bathroom and a utility sink un the utility room? If so, would you have a suggestion on how to plumb these drains? I suppose the tub would need to be elevated a little.
    Post the drawing showing me the layout with measurements on the walls, existing drainage, and just what you want installed and where you want it installed and I'll see if I can come up with something. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting an unfinished basement celing [ 3 Answers ]

Any advice on painting an unfinished basement ceiling. I did read the posts about spraying But what type of paint wshould be used to cover the wiring, ducts etc as well as the joists etc. Has anyone tried this apporach. It is popular in commercial spaces and I have seen it in a few basement...

Installing shower in unfinished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm beginning a project to add a basement bathroom in our house. The house is only two years old and the basement is unfinished with concrete slab. The builder roughed in a drain for the toilet, sink and also the shower. My question is about the shower drain. Currently it is a 2" pvc pipe...

Finishing Bath in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process! ...

Painting an unfinished basement ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and have decided to paint the unfinished basement ceiling. I'm looking to insilate between the floor for sound proofing. What are the best solutions to do this. Also what suggestion on shade of paint light or dark,textured or smooth,laytext or oil based. All help is...

Tub rough in question in unfinished basement [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding my rough in for the tub in my unfinished basement. My first question regards the p-trap for the tub. This house was built in 2001. Is it common for the p-trap to be put in when they do the rough-in? I don't know whether to add the p-trap. A few pictures: 1st is a...

View more questions Search