Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Again in debt
    At the age of 30 I became divorced and filed chapter 13 bankruptcy (student loans and credit cards) to start my life over with my child. I am now 39 and just destroyed my two credit cards causing me a debt of $6000.00. I purchased a brand new car for the first time and now owe $357.00 a month. My rent is $1100.00 and I am a single parent. I have tried to live with lower rent but found that my daughter was suffering for not being in a decent school. I moved to place her in a better environment. I make decent money but still live paycheck to paycheck with no child support. How do I get out of this mess?
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

Jun 29, 2007, 05:03 PM
    I commend you for looking out for your daughter... :)

Are you on a written spending plan? Sounds like the new car and the payment is a big problem... if you called dave ramsey, he would say "sell the car"... and get a junker...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Yes, budget, * the word everyone hates.

Get rid of excess, can you live without cell phones, computer hook ups, cable TV, do you eat lunch out or take a lunch. And as noted try and sell the new car ad get a juker to drive,

See if you can set your credit cards up on a reasonable payment plan.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
    I agree. Sell the new car and get some safe cheapy. Use the 357/month on paying off those credit cards.. once those are gone, then look for a somewhat cheaper car. You shouldn't need anything too extravagant (like a van or SUV) with just the one child.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I want to comment further on Gazelles avice. Buy Dave Ramsey book, get one from the library,or borrow one. He has great advice. He also has a radio show where he takes calls and maps out a recovery plan for the caller. It would be great if you could call him. Good luck
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Great advice above! Also, I especially like the mention of setting up your credit cards on a reasonable payment plan. I did that with two of mine. All I had to do was call them and explain my situation with them. They lowered the interest rate by about 25% for each card, and I now have monthly payments that I can afford. This wouldn't necessarily work with every credit card company. But, it's worth a try.

I know that getting rid of unnecessary things has already been mentioned. But, I want to emphasize how important it is to do that. When I have had money problems in the past, the first things to go were anything having to do with cable - T.V. computer or whatever. No newspaper or expensive subscriptions to magazines. A cheaper Internet connection by phone. Instead of one that costs $24.95 or $19.95 a month, maybe one of those that costs $9.95 a month.

If you are really hurting, there may be a local church that would be willing to provide you food baskets to you on a regular basis.

Since you have a child, I am wondering why the father is not paying child support?
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

Jun 30, 2007, 04:41 AM
    I hate the Budget word too... I like "spending plan".. sounds better... you are just telling your money what to do... otherwise it will leave and you will have no idea where it went.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Debt collection twice same debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was placed in collections oct 2003 for an outstanding debt with rogers cell phone. I paid the debt in full oct 29/03 . Through nordon collections I was just notified by canadian collections that rogers has again placed a collection against this same debt. They keep calling with the auto...

Bad Debt and Bad Debt allocation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help with the following accounting exercise? The following info was listed in company X balance sheet as of 2005 Aacounts Rec for 2004 150,000 Aacounts Rec for 2005 250,000 Allowance for bad debt in 2004 was 8,200 Allowance for bad debt in 2005 was 12,000

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process: If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved...

View more questions Search