Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atias26 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Problems getting test!
    Hello there...

Im a 20 year old person and I'm a third year med student. In the last year I've had some problems with taking exams and test and the end I get frustrated for not having the grade I was hoping to...

I know that I don't have problems in the process of knowledge, how to get the information, understanding it or memorizing it... But when it goes the exam I get anxious to finish it and I probably anticipate the answer and get the thing mist up...

Any ways, I hope anyone can help me because I'm desesperate... I feel very insecure right know about my abilitys for this carrer... and I love medicine, its my passion... its just that I'm tired of having this problem and I'm kind of frustadet...

Right know I feel really insecure... somebody help me!!
    luvmylab Posts: 90, Reputation: 7

Jun 27, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Hello, You should speak with your doctor. Perhaps you have test anxiety. Or perhaps ADD. I have ADD and I can't tell you how much better I would do on test when I didn't have to worry about time. It took so much pressure off me that I usually didn't need extra time but I liked knowing it was there. Good luck!

Jun 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
    I think that my main problem is anxiety, but the rare thing is that only happens when I'm in front of the exam... And I know I do weel on learning the material... My next exam is this Saturday, is a pharmacology test,. I'm studying like hell for this exam, I really need to get it well... I don't think I have ADD...

Can anyone give me advice about how to control myself when I'm taking the exams??

Thank's for your advice... I really apreciate it...

Atias26
    Universal Truth Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Despite what people like to think, there is no magic pill that will increase your grade point average.

I have no doubt in my mind that you may be able to remember an entire book of facts, but tests don't always quiz you on your memory. Most of the medical tests will test your ability to apply that knowledge. This is where the majority of the 4.0GPA students fall short when they have difficulties. Some individuals are entirely book smart, but have no common sense and fail to apply the concepts they have learned in school. I've seen it thousands of times in the research industry. We hire these kids with great academic standing, and then they get fired because they are horrible at application.

If you want to do better on a test, I advise you to go through the practice tests, and old exams. Instead of memorizing questions and answers, try picking out the wrong answers and explain why they are wrong. Doing this will help you apply those concepts and help you explain them to yourself along the way.

If you do need some magic cure, like a pill for ADD, use caffeine. Caffeine is a natural stimulant and has a similar effect as drugs like Aderrol and Straterra. It wakes up the sleepy cortex and helps get the brain going. Avoid combining it with sugar though, as this will make you more anxious from the sugar high.

Alternatively, you could just take the grade and stop complaining. I mean, you are a doctor, and I can't imagine what it would be like if a Doctor ran a test on a patient and then complained about the results. At some point in your life you are going to have to be accountable for your results. Regardless of how you do, suck it up and take responsibility for it. Have confidence in your ability and be satisfied that you did what you could.

Stop thinking "I should have done better" because in reality it's over. As a doctor, you are going to have people die, and you will loose your mind if you constantly say "I could have..." Deal with it. Instead of beating yourself up over a bad grade on a test, just be proud that you actually did something.
    luvmylab Posts: 90, Reputation: 7

Jun 27, 2007, 10:22 AM
    I would suggest breathing. Taking a minute and focusing on your breathing. Talk to yourself. Tell yourself that your fine. That you are doing well on the test etc. Don't get upset if you don't know something skip it and keep going.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
    The only advice I can give as a nursing student who goes through the same anxiety during a nursing test that you describe is... breathe!!

One thing we learned in our psych rotation is that sometimes during tests we forget to breathe. We tend to hold our breaths and breathe only when necessary.

Here are some steps our nursing class uses prior to and during test taking that seems to have helped raise our grades since whe have implemented them:

1) Have a full breakfast before the test that includes plenty of protein, protein is brian food;
    2) If you are a religious person, say a prayer prior to the test;
    3) If you are allowed to eat and/or drink, have a snack that contains protein and a caffinated beverage. If not, chew some gum. Gum chewing sounds silly I know, but it occupies a portion of your brain in that, while chewing gum, you are able to slow down during the test taking period.

Most important is a good night sleep prior to the test. I know it is asking a lot since we have to cram all we can, but it is very important that your brain and body is well rested. Have a good breakfast, or lunch if the test is later in the day. Never go into a test hungry. And breathe. Pay attention to your breathing pattern during the test. You need the proper O2 for your brain to recall important facts.

Good luck to you. I know pharmacology can be very VERY hard.

****And most important of all... They don't look at your grades on each test after graduation upon hiring, they just need to know that you graduated with good academic standing.****
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Oh, yeah, one of my favorite teachers professes that "C means Continue"

Jun 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Thanks everyone for giving me hope and most of all security that I have the tools to make a god exam... I'll take all of your advices and aply them...

Thank you so much J_9, luvmylab, and universal truth!!

Thanks a lot!!

PD: I love this web... I found it in the most needed time!! :)
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Just keep the faith. You can get through this. I don't see how you do it as nursing school is hard enough. Hey, great idea! Let's go into practice together. LOL

Anyway, remember that your prospective employers will not be looking at your individual scores, but whether you actually graduated and passed your boards.

A grade does not mark who you are or what you know. It is hard to take those scenario based tests where all 4 answers are correct you just have to pick the "most correct" answer.

Get rest sleep well, yeah right, I know the drill. But you know it is the truth. You cannot go into a test sleep deprived. Good luck on your test.
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Jun 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Hay man , be positive , think positve and always belev in yourself and think you are the best and no one can do a better paper than u. u will surely overcome this problem , it is nt a major problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat problems or furnace problems [ 22 Answers ]

Is it possible that a thermostat operates correct all the time except when it reaches the temperature that is set doesn't maintain that temperature?:D I noticed that actually that thermostat gives a signal to the furnace but furnace doesn't turn on but that happens only when thermostat needs to...

Test Device 2 Test Inside Wiring w/o Phone [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a small (max 5cmX5cmx5cm), inexpensive test device or card on the market that I can use to test my phone line at the NID without using a telephone? This is important as I have a cordless.

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

Test [ 4 Answers ]

Test:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :D :D http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/Smileys/default/woot_jump.gif

What's the diff between diaelectric test and insulation test [ 1 Answers ]

I am puzzled, What exactly is the difference between diaelectric test and insulation test. Some says it the same, but others says it's because one applied power to perform the test the latter don't. And some says both are using power but one is using AC power and the other using Dc power. There...

View more questions Search