Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scuber Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Angel 1 minute devil next
    Is there a way you can tell if a person is bi polar? If so is it possible to prove it in court? Also is it treatable?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Bipolar disorder is a recurrent illness that involves long-term, drastic changes in mood. A person with bipolar disorder experiences alternating highs (mania) and lows (depression). A manic period can be brief, lasting from three to 14 days, or longer, lasting up to several weeks. The depressive periods may also last from days to weeks or even six to nine months. The periods of mania and depression range from person to person many people may only experience very brief periods of these intense moods, and may not even be aware that they have bipolar disorder.

The “highs” or manic episodes are characterized by extreme happiness, hyperactivity, little need for sleep and racing thoughts, which may lead to rapid speech. Symptoms of the “lows” or depressive periods include extreme sadness, a lack of energy or interest in things, an inability to enjoy normally pleasurable activities and feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. On average, someone with bipolar disorder has three years of normal mood between episodes of mania or depression.
    Types of Bipolar Disorder

Those with bipolar disorder often describe their experience as being on an emotional roller coaster. Cycling up and down between strong emotions can keep a person from functioning normally. The emotions, thoughts and behavior of a person with bipolar disorder are beyond his control friends, co-workers and family must intervene to protect his interests. This makes the condition exhausting not only for the sufferer, but for those in contact with him as well.

Bipolar disorder can create many difficulties. Manic episodes can lead to family conflict or financial problems, especially when the person with bipolar disorder appears to behave erratically and irresponsibly. During the manic phase, people often become impulsive and act aggressively. This can result in high-risk behavior, such as repeated intoxication, extravagant spending and risky sexual behavior.

During severe manic or depressed episodes, people with bipolar disorder may have symptoms that overwhelm their ability to deal with reality. This inability to distinguish reality from unreality results in psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices, paranoia, visual hallucinations, and false beliefs of special powers or identity. They may have distressing periods of great sadness alternating with euphoric optimism (a “natural high”) and/or rage that is not typical of the person during periods of wellness. These abrupt shifts of mood interfere with reason, logic and perception to such a drastic degree that those affected may be unaware of the need for help. However, if left untreated, bipolar disorder can seriously affect every aspect of a person’s life.

Identifying the first episode of mania or depression and receiving early treatment is essential to managing bipolar disorder. In most cases, a depressive episode occurs before a manic episode, and many patients are treated initially as if they have major depression. Usually, the first recognized episode of bipolar disorder is a manic episode. Once a manic episode occurs, it becomes clearer that the person is suffering from an illness characterized by alternating moods. Because of this difficulty with diagnosis, family history of similar illness and/or episodes is particularly important. Patients who first seek treatment as a result of a depressed episode may continue to be treated as someone with unipolar depression until a manic episode develops. Ironically, treatment of depressed bipolar patients with antidepressants can trigger a manic episode in some patients.

SOURCE
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Jun 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Sounds like my mother in la . Short periods where she lovws us all, short periodswhere she tris to shoot us. Hers range from about 4-5 pm on. And during winter. She is also a VERY heavy drinker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could the Devil be from another planet? [ 48 Answers ]

This is a silly question maybe, and I know there is no scriptural basis for it. However, I recently saw John Carpenter's movie "Prince of Darkness", and it explains that Satan basically was an ancient evil being from another galaxy who came and tried to take over the earth. Anyway I thought it was...

I was his Angel [ 2 Answers ]

I recently posted something about a 2year relationship that went Sour and now I am left with a memory of a guy I thought I was going To marry. I went through the motions and hurt and was that he was There for me for my cancer surgeries. It was the timing, I had a lot Of medical problems the...

Dare Devil Doxie who Begs For Food [ 4 Answers ]

I have a one year old Doxie named Jasmine. She is a very hyper dog. She jumps off furniature like it's nothing. I've bought doggy steps for her but she'd rather jump on and off furniture. How do I control this? :confused: She also begs for food when we're sitting at the dining table. ...

Last minute [ 3 Answers ]

How can I avoid doing my projects or homeworks last minute?

I Can See an Angel [ 2 Answers ]

I have the song, "I Can See an Angel" by Patsy Cline, Jerry Wallace, and Hank Locklin. However, another country artist had the song out in the early to mid 1950's and I can't remember who it was. Please research this for me. Russ1938

View more questions Search