Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danieldunn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Replced Hot Water Heater - Low pressure in some places in house
    I just changed out my hot water heater yesterday and have low pressure (hot and cold) in one bathroom and an outside outlet. The bathroom had low pressure in comparison with the other bathroom for quite some time but now can hardly fill the pipes for a shower. The outside has never had any issues.

When I drained the old tank it had some slimy sludge in the bottom the consistency of melting jello but I didn't see any chips etc. I am on city water and pressure to the kitchen and other bathroom stayed the same. When I first filled the new tank I turned on the bathroom faucet that is having the problems and a lot of air came out and then some spitting of water/air. Same with the shower.

Would draining the tank again and refilling it have any effect or have I knocked some bad stuff loose? Oh, the bathroom and outside spigot are the closest plumbing to the hot water heater.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2007, 03:51 AM
    My bet's on crud being dislodged from the pipe walls when you replaced the water heater and now it's clogging up t6he bathroom and the hose bib. It won't help to drain the new heater it hasn't had time to build up any minerals, (more about that later).
    You're going to have to turn off the water and open up the faucets and clear out any debris that's up there.
    Now let's make sure it doesn't happen again.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solution - Low Hot Water Pressure Throughout House [ 5 Answers ]

Several weeks ago I made a post about low hot water pressure throughout my house. It's now fixed, so I thought I would provide the "fix" for others with the same problem. I had a plumber come to see what the problem was. He noted that my hot water heater was 10 years old & there could be some...

Low hot water pressure - entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I've read many of the other posts, and I'm somewhat re-assured that I'm not the only one having problems with hot water pressure. For confirmation, here's my problem: I have a standard gas hot water heater in my basement; throughout the entire house my hot water pressure has recently dropped...

Very Low Hot Water Pressure in entire house [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Please Help!! I have very very low hot water pressure in my whole house. I have flushed out my hot water heater and it came gushing out clear from the bottom of my hot water heater. I had a friend’s Dad come over and he tried something things to rule out possibilities. He took the...

Low hot water pressure entire house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. We have 3 yr old house/ boiler and have noticed recently an overall drop in our hot water pressure. We have a thermo dynamics oil fed boiler(no hot water tank). Could our heating coil be getting "crudded up" w/ mineral deposits like a hot water heater? How do we test or...

Low hot water pressure in house [ 1 Answers ]

Hot water pressure low from relatively new gas hot water heater. House built in 1914... not the best in pipes, but any ideas on improving pressure. Have good valve from water pipe. Suggestions?:confused:

View more questions Search