Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wing Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 11:14 AM
    1990 Honda 1.5 Civic no run
    I have a 90 Civic with the 1.5 with 276 thousand miles and am having a problem. I looked at several similar descriptions here and seen some helpful responses but not enough to solve mine.
    Engine starting running real rough and barely made it home. I fueled it the day before so I assumed it was fuel related. Would not start.
    Replaced the fuel filter and noticed a vacuum line from intake to MAP sensor freshly cracked and added a splice to repair.
    Pulled spark plugs and noticed they were black and very sooty. Installed new ones.
    Seems to be good spark at the plugs, but still no start... Must be fuel related.
    I am about to check fuel pump via main relay, and as far as I can tell the fuel pump is located in the tank? Sweet.
    So, am I missing anything obvious? The blacked sooty plugs have me somewhat baffled. I do not think I have ever heard the two second fuel pump start with this car, and maybe since its in the tank that may shield the sound? Bah.

Miss my little Civic.. sniff

Bob in Colorado.
    rondom1 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2007, 01:40 PM
    As taken from a spark plug analysis write up "Basically, soft, sooty carbon deposits, as shown below, have a dry, black appearance. If only one or two plugs in a set are fouled, it is a good practice to check for sticking valves, a cracked distributor cap, or bad secondary ignition wires. Fouling of the entire set might result from an incorrect heat range spark plug or an over-rich air/fuel mixture caused by a clogged air cleaner filter element, a sticking heat riser valve, or a faulty choke. Fuel injectors that malfunction can also lead to this condition.

Other causes include weak ignition system voltage or an inoperative pre-heating system (carburetor intake air) or poor cylinder compression."

So first check the air filter and the ignition wires and pull the dist cap off and check the rotor and inner part of the cap

And then do a comp test
    rondom1 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Spark Plug Analysis
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Reading sections A and B below should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

If everything appears to check out, after reading sections A and B, focus on the distributor; i.e. igniter, coil, and sensors. AutoZone will check igniters and coils for free. Even if the spark is good, it may not be firing at the right time, due to a faulty igniter or bad sensors. After that, check the MAP Sensor.
    Wing Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Thanks to all who helped, and txgreasemonkey for taking the time writing that great primer for those who need help.
    In my situation the MAP sensor vacuum line broke causing the engine to run really rough and leaving the sooty deposits.
    Once I repaired the MAP sensor and reset the ECU, no errors came up and it started right up as normal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 honda civic hatchback dx [ 6 Answers ]

Problem starts when I waited for a train, shut off the motor and kept lights and stereo on, next day tried to boost it, nothing, then tried changing the battery, nothing... so when towing we bump started it by popping the clutch and putting it in first, so it runs, but won't start. We get it home...

1990 Honda Civic LX 1.5L [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting an error code 8 (TDC Position) and an error code 20 (Electric Load) on my ECM. I cannot find any detailed information about either of these codes. Can anyone help me either locate a site that has good explinations, or advise me on what I should be looking at. The problem that I...

1990 honda civic [ 2 Answers ]

My 1990 honda civic with 306000 miles runs good most of the time. Sometimes while I am driving it the car will just qiut and the check engine light will come on. I looked under the carpet on the passenger side and saw a red light blink 15&16 times. What is going on? Sometimes it will start right...

1990 Honda Civic Overheats [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem and I cannot seem to find the solution. I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine Swap in it, and it overheats. I replaced the thermostat a few weeks - a month ago and replaced coolant. I get heat from the heater in the car. The car will overheat after about 5-10...

1990 Honda Civic DX [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my problem: My engine starts and idles fine. Under acceleration it accelerates up to about 2500 rpm, then the ignition cuts off. When you shift gears you can run it back up to about 2500 rpm again, then it cuts out again. This occurs through all the gears. The check engine light stays on...

View more questions Search