Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steffan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 08:13 AM
    Is this a venting problem?
    I recently had a new bathroom fitted upstairs in my 150yr old post and beam home. Since the fitting I have been experiencing lots of gurgling problems in the kitchen and yesterday following a leisurely bath I came downstairs to find that the whole of the bath water had backed up through the kitchen sink. I also noted that there was sewage in the water as well. The house has a septic system which was emptied less than one year ago and there are only two people living in the home. Normally we would only empty the septic tank once every two or three years.
    I noticed when the plumbers put in a vent pipe that they only put it through the attic and it does not vent through the roof, could this be the problem?
    I would appreciate any ideas on how to solve this problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2005, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steffan
    I recently had a new bathroom fitted upstairs in my 150yr old post and beam home. Since the fitting I have been experiencing lots of gurgling problems in the kitchen and yesterday following a leisurely bath I came downstairs to find that the whole of the bath water had backed up through the kitchen sink. I also noted that there was sewage in the water as well. The house has a septic system which was emptied less than one year ago and there are only two people living in the home. Normally we would only empty the septic tank once every two or three years.
    I noticed when the plumbers put in a vent pipe that they only put it through the attic and it does not vent through the roof, could this be the problem?
    I would appreciate any ideas on how to solve this problem.
    Hey Steffan,

IT sounds as though you might have more then just one problem. But let's address the back up first. This is caused by a blockage in the drain line that services the upper bathroom and the kitchen sink. The "gurgle" sounds like you might have a vent problem as well, although the "gurgle" could be a "burp" caused by air being forced back when the discharge hit the clog. Fortunately you can kill two birds with one stone by snaking the line from the kitchen vent. This will clear both the vent and the drain line. As for the open vent in the attic, the plumber should have revented back into a vent that exited the roof. Snake out the line and let me know how it goes. If you're new to septic systems click on back and I'll give you some helpful tips. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible venting problem? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story home that is 3 years old on a septic system. In the master bathroom there is a garden tub, shower, 2 sinks and of course a toilet. I notcied that when you flush the toilet it causes the water in the sink traps and the shower trap to move a little bit, but the water level never...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Clog or venting problem [ 4 Answers ]

My dowstairs bathroom toilet bubbles and loses it water . When the laundry runs the toilet bubbles and even after that is done , I noticed when my I ran the water for a 15 seconds in the downstairs sink (same b-throom as toilet) toilet bubbled again. Note: My laundry room is upstairs ....

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

Tub Venting? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm rebuilding a 1920's bathroom from the floor joist and studs, the question I have is the 1 1/2" Tub Over Flow ties into the trap which then ties into a 3" stack with a 3x3x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee. Do I need to install a vent in for the tub if the trap is 12" away from the stack? ...

View more questions Search