Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miller116 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Connecting ceiling fan wires
    I have two white and two black plus the ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is one white, one black, and one blue wire on the ceiling fan... I have tried everything but cannot get the light to work on the ceiling fan... How should these wires be connected so that the ceiling fan and light will work from both the pull chain and the light switch on the wall?
    Younique One Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by miller116
    I have two white and two black plus the ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is one white, one black, and one blue wire on the ceiling fan.... I have tried everything but cannot get the light to work on the ceiling fan... How should these wires be connected so that the ceiling fan and light will work from both the pull chain and the light switch on the wall?
    I just had the same problem this weekend. Only difference is that I only had one white and one black coming from the ceiling (not two each).

I had the black wire from the ceiling and the black wire from the fan connected together.

I had the white wire from the ceiling and the white wire from the fan connected together.

I had the bare copper wire from the ceiling and the green ground wire from the fan and also the green ground wire from the mounting bracket all connected together.

I first connected the blue wire (light kit) to the two white ones and the light didn't work.

I then connected the blue (light kit) to the two black ones and presto! Both the fan and light work from the one wall switch and I can turn them both on and off by the pull chains. Hope this helps!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 01:45 AM
    What was installed before and how was is connected? Are the 4 wires in your ceiling connected to each other at all?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    edward912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Where does the blue wire go on the ceiling fan wires
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 6, 2009, 02:51 PM

If you want the fan and light to both be controlled by the same switch, then the blue connects to the same wire as the fan black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying ceiling fan wires [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to wire a Hunter ceiling fan with a separate remote control, with the remote control being the wall mount type that replaces the old light switch. My problem is that I'm unable to identify the "light" wire and the "fan" wire coming out of the fan that are supposed to connect to...

Too many wires! Ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

So this question is in line with the other other ceiling fan wiring questions. I am trying to install a ceiling fan. The light box has four cables (each with a black, white and bare wire). It seems that one cable is always hot, one cable goes to the adjacent bathroom, one cable seems to connect to...

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

Ceiling fan wires [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I installed a fan a few yrs ago. It wabbled so we tried to fix that and ended up messing up the light. Today we decided to fix the light. After taking the light kit off it was noticed that only white was coming from the fan to the light kit and black/blue was gone (somewhere in the...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

View more questions Search