Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clueless_19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Is this clearer than I think it is?
    I'm in college and not very experienced in relationships. I had my first serious boyfriend this past year and we agreed to stay together for the summer. Before we left, we had this long discussion on how pointless we thought taking a "break" for the summer was if you really love the person you're with. About a month into summer break, we started having some problems. I felt as though we weren't talking enough and I told him about how I was getting worried. We had this long discussion in which he agreed with me that we needed to work on the relationship, but he didn't really do much to reassure me, and the conversation ended with him going "I don't really know what to say". I felt as though I was maybe pushing him too hard and tried to back off to give him some space. About 10 days later, we were talking on the phone and he said he wanted a "break" because (he said) I was becoming apathetic. I spent about a week after that trying to convince him that I wasn't being apathetic, but just trying to give him space. He told me that he thought a break was the only way we could end up together again when school started because it was better than waiting until the relationship got really bad and breaking up for good before we even saw each other again, but, despite my efforts, he doesn't seem to want to get back together. We still talk and he says he misses me. I want to believe him, but I don't know if this is just a way of breaking up "nicely" or of keeping me close by "just in case". He told me that he was trying really hard to make it work before the 'break' started but felt like I wasn't doing enough. I feel the opposite. I didn't feel like he was trying at all. Maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I can't tell. Is this worth waiting for, or is he just leading me on and giving excuses?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 01:40 PM
    You two don't mix very well, so I would say let him have his break, and leave him alone or else he will lead you on, and play on your feelings, so consider it over.
    jeremy4719 Posts: 136, Reputation: 4

Jun 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
    I'm not sure on this one... I would take the break and enjoy a bit of the single life for the summer... Then when school starts back up, see if he calls you to go out... This is a way for you both to win... Don't count him out, but don't stand around and wait... You know what I mean? Just take it as time to see if its right... It's only a summer... If you find someone else in that time, then his loss for the "break"... Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search