Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lighthousenavy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Les pendens
    MAN DONATES CALIFORNIA CONDO TO CHARITY. CHARITY IMPROVES PROPERTY AND ATTEMPTS TO SELL IT. DURING ESCROW, CHARITY DISCOVERS A LES PENDENS FILED BY THE DONOR'S EX-WIFE ... LES PENDENS AND DIVORCE FILING WAS AFTER PROPERTY HAD BEEN DONATED!

FACTS: On April 6, 2006, a condominium that had been an asset of an investment trust was donated to our non-profit child-help charity The condo had been recently appraised for $900,000 with an owing balance of $600,000.

Donation documents included a 2006 quit claim deed from the wife releasing her interest in the property to the trust.

We spent 2 months cleaning, painting, advertising and marketing the property for sale.

The condo just sold for $800,000 and today the Escrow officer informed me that a preliminary title search showed a Les Pendens which was filed on April 27, 2007... 21 days after the property was donated!

It appears that a divorce action was filed on April 10, just 4 days after the donation. In checking with the court, I discovered the property donor recently won a quash motion on improper service and is about to return to court and expected to win a dismissal based upon improper jurisdiction (he filed and his divorce action in final in another state -- and the dispute is whether the wife was a California resident. Immediately after filing the divorce action in California, the petitioner returned to her home in Singapore!

What do I need to do to get the Les Pendens released?

If the petitioner and/or her attorney who filed the les pendens resists, can I file a lawsuit against her as she knew she had quit claimed her interest in the property to the husband's investment trust and that the trust had donated this property -- and other property -- to our charity? If yes, what causes of action would apply? Or can I appear in the existing "jurisdiction" action to have our issue ruled upon?

Admiral Chuck Foster
    Lighthouse Navy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Perhaps even worst, if the property was transferred prior to any divorce, they were married at the time, while I studied law in California, not up on their current status, but are they not a community property state, and would not the wife, have to sign a release prior to the sale for the proper even if the property was only in his name??

I believe her issue will have to be ruled on, this is a area where the property may be tied up for years, so as the charity, I would have the chairities attorneys review the situation, so they are not caught up in this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lis Pendens Filed. [ 15 Answers ]

My questions is I got divorced and in the final disolution of marriage there was a property settlement agreement. My ex-wife is suppose to pay me 35,000 for my part of the equity in the house. She never signed the promisary note. My Attourney and I took her back to court on contept and was...

House closed with a Les pendens on it [ 5 Answers ]

We had won a judgment for $12,000 and had filled a les pendens against the persons property. Since the filling of the les pendens the house was sold and the title company did not notice the les pendens on the property. The title insurance company is refusing our claim saying there was no profit...

View more questions Search